Brush or spray paint fence?

maymesterApril 7, 2012

We have a debate going on here. Our 20 ft. white fence (kind of looks like thick lattice but are squares rather than diagonals) needs to be restained.DH says to do it right it should be with a brush. I say staining it with a sprayer would be faster and so much easier( thinking about the insides of all those squares!). He is concerned about the overspray on our bushes. What would you suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

Check your can of stain. Some say even when spraying to work the stain in with a brush. I've always wondered what else gets stained when people spray a fence.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:11PM
paintguy22

I really think it depends on the type of wood. More porouse wood really needs to be brushed and rolled so that the material penetrates properly. This helps the coating last longer. But, if the wood is previously painted and not that porous, spraying would be fine. There are always ways to cover up items that you don't want to get overspray on.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 4:16AM
chas045

Can't say I'm an expert, but I compromised and did both. I sprayed the stain on and brushed it in, sometimes with the gun in one hand and the brush in the other; sometimes one hand on the bushes and gun in the other; sometimes completely separate. My fence had gaps so I was spraying close to keep through spraying to a minimum. It worked well and pretty fast. A big heavy brush got into all those corners quickly and well.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 9:33AM
maymester

Thanks all, looks like we'll be brushing the fence - TOGETHER!

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™