How to keep grated potatoes white?

tomatobob_va7October 30, 2009

I have a recipe for hash brown potatoes that calls for peeling and grating them, then soaking them in cold water to release some starch, draining, then continuing the recipe.

If I leave the potatoes more than 20 minutes in the water, they turn pinkish-brown. Yet I'd like to do the soaking part of the prep ahead of time. Any ideas on something I could add to the water to keep them white?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cotehele

Just change the water or rinse the potatoes before cooking.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:43PM
lindac

Add a little lemon to the water....and don't soak them so long....5 minutes will do....you just need to wash off the starch not soak it out.
Also some potatoes brown faster than others...I have kept peeled potatoes in water on the counter for 20 hours of so and they didn't brown...
But lemon helps!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:45PM
marilyn_sue

I usually use either vinegar or lemon juice. I peel potatoes ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for a day or two and they don't turn brown. As long as they are covered with the water mixture. Hope this helps.

Sue

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:46PM
donna_loomis

Also, if they have turned just slightly pinkish brown, they will whiten as they cook.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 7:04PM
monkeymamaof4

I know a way. When we make the swedish dumplings, I make a tube of netting or tulle and grate the potatoes into the tube. I then soak the potatoes in the netting tube, in cold water. When you are ready to use the potatoes, squeeze out the extra liquid and dip back into the water to rinse and squeeze totally dry before using.

Stacie

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 11:05PM
pkramer60

Don't worry about it. Both potatoes and apples will whiten upon heating.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 8:22AM
tomatobob_va7

Thanks, everyone! So nice to have a such a friendly bunch of helper/consultants. I'll try the lemon juice, AND cut down on the soaking. tomatobob

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 4:19PM
doucanoe

I have always put them in salt water. Seems to keep the color from turning.

linda

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 10:34PM
diana55

I second the Salt Water. Works for me. Diana55

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 12:09AM
lisbet

That's my Sunday Morning breakfast!! My very favorite of all breakfasts! Hash Browns and Eggs.

I don't soak or even rinse the grated potatoes in cold water. Before grating the raw potato, I first grate some onion into the bowl. I then grate the potato right into the bowl on top the onion....mixing the two together as I go along with the grating. The onion keeps the potato fom turning pink/grey. And, my hash browns turn out with a crispy crust. It may take a couple of seconds extra in browning to make the bit of liquid from the onion dissipate. My favorite seasoning for the hash browns is an Adobe mix.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™