Paint selection for exterior aluminum clad windows

davefrApril 15, 2008

Hi,

I have some Kolbe Kolbe aluminum clad/wood core casement windows that had the factory bronze finish over the aluminum cladding. Over the years this finish has faded and weathered.

I want to select a paint that:

1. Can be tinted to match the factory bronze color

2. Will stick to this surface without priming. (I plan to clean and lightly sand the cladding)

3. Will level out well using a sash brush.

I'm thinking of SW Satin Duration however I've used it before and it just doesn't level out that well and leaves brush marks.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a high end acrylic paint that will fit this application. I'd like as close to the smooth factory finish as possible but prefer to brush vs. spray.

Are there any paints similar to Duration that have better leveling characteristics?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrence67

You have a couple of things to consider. Why no prime? Anodized aluminum is not that easy to stick to. Suggest a bonder coat with a premium primer/bonder. Try UMA. Getting a metallic bronze topcoat for an exterior application will be tough. Best bet is to use a flow additive like Latex Xtender or Floetrol to smooth out the brush strokes with a top of the line SW or BM product. Good luck in find a bronze exterior paint in a latex.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 4:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davefr

Thanks. Today at lunch I stopped at a BM dealer and he suggested a product called IronClad Latex Low Luster Metal and Wood enamel. It's self priming, flows/levels well and the best part is that it comes from the factory in a premixed dark bronze that matches my windows perfectly.

He told me that factory mixed colors are much more fade resistant then store mixed colors due to the pigments used. I think I heard that once before.

I'll report back my results but it seams like the perfect product for what I want to do.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™