Paint manufacturors/formulations for exterior stucco

lynxeApril 5, 2012

We plan to have the exterior stucco walls (and wood trim & doors) painted later this spring. I'm interested in suggestions on which manufacturers' paints to consider. Ditto on formulations. Related question: is it necessary to use special paints for the stucco? Or will any high-quality exterior paint suffice?

Given the difficulty of accessing some of the second floor- and attic-height areas of the house, we want to use the "best" (ie, longest-wearing) paint we can find in our area -- or at least, an excellent, high-quality paint. Those areas are not ones we'd be comfortable doing ourselves, and, any time they'd have to be redone, they would require scaffolding and, possibly, very long extension ladders.

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your thoughts & ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Man....I'm glad we've got steel-siding!!!
Kinda boring...yes...but almost bulletproof!

Stucco has to be repaired correctly/filled with same material ideally. Sometimes cracks have to be enlarged/undercut to "fix" them properly!

Stucco paints are more "Elastomeric" than regular paints. This means the binder-resin has more flexibility for natural-material siding.

Faron

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 1:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chispa

I'm in CA, where we have lots of stucco and Dun Edwards is very popular here. We did an addition and our GC will be using DE elastomeric paint for the stucco. I believe the current paint on our house is also DE elastomeric paint and it look very good after 11 years. Climate is important too. Things here in CA last much longer than in the Northeast ... the freeze-thaw cycles age things pretty quickly.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™