Semi-Gloss paint trouble

vanillafieldsApril 27, 2012

Hello All, this is my first post in this forum.. I picked up a small accent table and wanted to paint it orange-coral color. The legs I painted white leftover semigloss from painting fireplace a few month ago without a problem (sanded, coat of primer and 2 coats of paint). They are smooth, even, shiny without brush marks. Now, the table top... I sanded really well, put 2 coats of primer, sanded very lightly and attempted to paint. 2 coats later I STILL could see 'drier spots' mainly difference in light reflection but I want it to be perfect. After touching up in those spots (more than recommended 4 hours for recoating), the touched up areas are distinct. Most of the top is the way it should.. Glossy and even, but the edges are terrible. What am I doing wrong? Would another coat help? How to avoid lap marks? TIA!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

The legs are easier because they are small. The top is just more difficult because it is a greater surface area. You want to paint it so that the entire area is wet at the same time and dries down that way. This is what is known as keeping the wet edge. You may need to use a roller to get the paint on quickly and then use your brush to back brush the paint out evenly. Touch ups will probably always show.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vanillafields

Thank you paintguy. I did some research online and figured out the same thing - basically I was overdoing it by over rushing and spreading the paint too thin... The last coat I just slapped the paint and brushed quickly, keeping it thicker than before, and, voila! It dried perfectly, no marks, overlapping edges, perfectly smooth too. Lesson learned :).

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™