Low VOC paint...does it increase mold risk?

juniorkApril 28, 2011

HI All,

I have searched extensively here, and read every post on low VOC paint, but cannot come up with the answer. My GC is getting ready to paint our house (interior) and our plans call for low VOC paint. He called and asked me to think about using regular paint, since he had read that low VOC paint would have a tendency to increase mold, especially in the bathrooms, laundry, etc.

Should I be concerned? What ARE the downsides with low VOC paint? I have googled VOC and mold, but nothing really came up. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

What LZ said!!

I've been in retail paint-trade for many years now, and this is the 1st time I've EVER heard anything like that!!

>> If he's building a quality, well-ventilated home...IT'S A MOOT POINT ANYWAY!!

Faron

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:16AM
lazy_gardens

He called and asked me to think about using regular paint, since he had read that low VOC paint would have a tendency to increase mold, especially in the bathrooms, laundry, etc.

Call him back and ask him WHERE he "read" this, and what kind of research data proves that low VOC paint contributes to mold growth.

Unless he can do this, it's a fact-free opinion that is worth nothing.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:27AM
ajpace

Most mildewcides and biocides found in paint are not considered VOC's anyway.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 1:32PM
badgergrrl

But are the mildewcides and biocides toxic (to humans, obviously they're toxic to mildew) in their own right? (I have no idea, I'm actually curious.)

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 6:26PM
ajpace

They are toxic to all in larger doses, but inherently dangerous to those with compromised immune systems or chemical sensitivities. VOC's, by definition, are regulated because of outdoor air pollution, not human health. That's why paint companies can still use hazardous ingredients but still call their product zero VOC.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™