Are my cabinets being painted the right way???

ailene54March 8, 2012

Hi,We're having our cabinets painted, and would like to know the proper way of doing this, We knew the person who's doing it for us prices were high, but we saw his work and it was flawless, unfortunately it was in his own home and now we're afraid he is giving us a different kind of job than expected. The cabinets are oak. He's spackling and sanding them 2 times, already said some areas are going to need 3 X because of the grain. He's using 2 coats of paint, he said because of all the spackling 3 is no longer necessary. (he told us 3 but it's not in the contract). He's not using a top coat of poly and said he never said he was (DH and I both remember, but it not in contract). Please tell me how many coats of paint are needed and if a top coat of poly should be used too. We are replacing the doors, and am using soft closing hindges for doors the drawers are regular, we are afraid of chipping without the poly. Thanks in advance for your help!

PS is there any way of preventing chipping on painted cabinets? How long should the painting last? I'm quite anxious and feel I made a mistake by painting, do you think I did??? You can tell me the truth, it's not a problem...but it is to late for me to stop, my granite is being installed tomorrow. He plans on doing the painting after the granite so they weren't damaged by the install.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

1 coat primer, 2 finish coats, no poly needed or recommended
chipping cannot be avoided

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 4:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Yes....

FORGET any Poly coats!!!

* From a technical standpoint, paint needs to fully cure before "trapping" it under a sealing coat(s) of Poly!!!
* Depending on many home-environment factors, and the paint/color ITSELF, proper curing CAN sometimes be a MONTH.
* Poly-coating done too soon can lead to wrinkling, cracking, etc. of the paintcoats.

Yep-
Chipping is almost inevitable.
The better the paint and prep, the lower the odds of it happening though...

Faron

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™