UCL Problem

msl511February 12, 2014

I got tape LEDs for my UCL. The electricians were here today. To figure out where to put the tape, they held a piece of the tape up against the bottom of the cabinet. We all agreed that right behind the light rail looked good.

Now one piece is in and the little difference between holding it up and it really bring flat against the cabinet makes a huge difference in the light. As you can see from the picture, it's casting a really strong shadow from the light rail. It looks bad and is not effective task lighting. Thoughts on solving this problem? Will just moving it back a few inches fix it? Do I need to do something else? The primary purpose of the lights is task lighting on the counter. Lighting up the backsplash is nice, but secondary.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gr8daygw

We have fluorescent type of UCL's not sure if it makes a difference. The cabinet is 12 inches deep and the counter is around 25-26 inches counting the ogee edge. The light is mounted at the front of the cabinet just behind the light skirt . This makes it about equal distance in the middle of the countertop. I am happy with the way the light casts on the countertop and the backsplash.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 4:19PM
edb2n

I'll be putting these in soon, and I read to set it back an inch if so from the front of the cabinet to avoid a shadow. Haven't done it yet, though, so I can't speak from personal experience

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 4:51PM
edb2n

Found this. Hope it helps

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
Silgranit metallic gray or cinder?
I am getting ready to order my super single Silgranit...
sblct
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™