What is this?

coolmamaApril 19, 2007

My husband and I have been watching tv together,and 3 times this past month a thing comes across the screen~much like the Emergency Broadcast System.

It says CHILD ABDUCTION EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM.A child abduction emergency alert has been posted for: The entire state.For the hours between 9am-5pm.(although each time the times have been different)

Each time we saw this,my husband refused to let our daughter take the bus and drove her to school.We also didnt let her play outside during those times.

However,the news and what not never says anything about it or why it is being issued,or even what it means for that matter.

How can they say between certain hours when a child might be abducted? How do they issue one of these warnings and why?

If anyone knows,I'd be very intrested to know about it.Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firemanswife

I'm wondering if it isn't like an Amber Alert of some sort where maybe a child has been reported missing but you would think they would say on the news or radio.
Hmmmm...not sure!

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 6:51PM
carla35

Maybe it is a test/drill they run to make sure everything is in place in case there was an abduction...

What state are you in? You could look up specific information about child alert for your state to see what it says. You could also call your local news station and ask them. Even if they are not reporting it, they should know something about it. It does sound odd.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 11:30PM
lindac

It's part of the nation wide Emergency Alert system. If there is no information about a car or anyother circumstances it's just a test of the system.
It is not in any way warning you of any increased danger to your child, just proving that the system works, and if a child had been abducted, there would have been a description of that child and the suspect and or the vehicle eh/she was driving.
No reason at all to keep your daughter at home...on the contrary...it's reason to feel she has been more protected.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 12:23AM
coolmama

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I googled it,maybe i should have done that first. It is like the Amber alert thing.
Thank you Linda C for the additional info,I guess they must have been tests then because nothing was stated about a child identity or car.
Thanks ya helpful ladies!

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 1:39AM
carla35

Glad you got your answer. Sadly, it seems we have so many real Amber Alerts in my area that there doesn't appear to be any time for just tests.

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 1:01PM
pfllh

Why not call your local station and ask them about it? You could then ask all about the program and the messages they will show and the level of alert for the message.
Perhaps this would give you some peace of mind.
Lynn

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
To parents of other heavy gamers...
Please do not attempt to moderate or restrict your...
sarabera
Need iOS app for my kids.
I bought an iPad for my kids. Please guys suggest me...
highpower91
Estrangement from adult child
I am, and have been, estranged from my adult child...
chloemichelle
How do I cope?
It's been 8 weeks since my daughter has spoken to me...
ireland33_gw
parents of estranged adult children
I too have been where all of you are. I am so happy...
jan09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™