OT - What is appropriate?

scarlett2001April 17, 2007

Sorry this is just a bit OT but what is an appropriate First Holy Communion gift for a boy age about 6 or 7?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninos

Alot of people might tell you a nice bible or a gold cross. I prefer to leave the personal items up to immediate family. Instead you could buy a savings bond or even a giftcard to any store. Maybe even include a small giftcard to Mcdonalds so they can treat themselves. My kids enjoy that.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 2:45PM
klimkm

Many families give money in a card. Go to your local religious book store and perhaps they can give you suggestions. He will likely get more than one rosary, so try not to get him one of those.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 3:00PM
labmomma

Savings Bond and a small token of rememberance of the day. It is tough for boys. For my Godson my DH and I gave him a large face value bond (pay half the total face value and once it matures, he can have some savings). We also found a rosary that was masculine as well as a boy's communion picture frame in order to display a picture of First Communion Day.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 3:01PM
carla35

I thought there was a thread on this a while ago and I know some suggested treating First Communion just like any other celebration, and giving non-religious gifts, but personally I would highly recommend sticking with a religious type gift. I would fit the gift to the occasion, so just like I wouldn't show up with a bottle of cologne or some socks for a housewarming, I wouldn't bring a basketball to a First Communion Party.

Here are some suggestions...
Religious Books (kid bibles, books on Saints, etc.) or a nice Rosary (although they may get more than one, he can still use it). If you have a religious type store in your area they probably have a lot of stuff. Below is a link that may give you some ideas. The amount you spend would probably depend on your relationship to the child. If you are family friends but not real, real close I would think anywhere from $10-30 would be fine. It's really not a big present giving occasion and focus is more on the sacrament itself.

I fall else fails, or you don't feel comfortable giving a religious gift, I'd stick a $20 in a Communion Card...maybe a little more if you are closely related.

ps...What does OT mean? (Off Topic???)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gift Ideas

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Adult daughter says actions speak louder than words
My Daughter and I have not had the best relationship...
Drinaz
To parents of other heavy gamers...
Please do not attempt to moderate or restrict your...
sarabera
Coping with the Estrangement of Adult Children
Sadly, my adult children and I are estranged from each...
res1705
Abusive Adult Children
I dont know how much more I can take. I have a 30 yo...
magoo_2006
Need iOS app for my kids.
I bought an iPad for my kids. Please guys suggest me...
highpower91
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™