Steel cut oats for baking?

doucanoeOctober 26, 2012

I have a cookie recipe that calls for 2-1/2 cups oatmeal, processed in blender until powdery.

Can I use steel cut oats for this, and if so would the proportions be the same? It seems like rolled oats have more volume and steel cut are denser, so I am thinking I'd have to use less. (That is if I can use them at all.)

Thanks,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I am sure that powdered oats are the same no matter what shape they are to begin with.....but how to measure?
I would suggest finding out what a cup of rolled oats weighs....then go with that weight of steel cut.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:10PM
grainlady_ks

Here's a yes, with some things to consider....

Yes, you can mill steel cut oats (as well as whole oat groats) to make oat flour. BUT...

Problem #1. Flakes won't measure the same cup-for-cup as steel cut oats. You will want to weigh 2-1/2 c. oatmeal (called for in the recipe) and then use the same weight of steel cut oats.

Problem #2. Unless you have a real grain mill, using a blender or food processor won't get the steel cut oats fine enough. Oatmeal is a better choice if you don't have a grain mill.

Problem #3. If you have a plastic container on your blender or food processor, the sharp grain could actually scratch it.

Solution: You could try milling a small amount of steel cut oats at a time in a coffee/spice mill. It's a fair substitute for milling small amounts only, but still not as fine as a grain mill OR blending oatmeal.

Hope that helps you out.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:25PM
doucanoe

Thanks to both of you! It's nice to have a place where I can go to ask my "dumb" questions and get intelligent answers!

Since I don't have a kitchen scale OR a grain mill I guess I'll just use rolled oats and the blender.

Linda

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:44PM
lindac

Good decision!! LOL!

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:25PM
lindac

Good decision!! LOL!

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
Costa Rican food ... and adventure
Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica...
publickman
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™