Paint Colours For a Small Retail Store

Debra WrightMarch 1, 2013

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have a small computer store that we are about to move into a larger space. I need to paint before we move in, and am looking for colour suggestions. The new space has good lighting and is an open rectangular area, with fairly high ceilings.

Our current wall colour is something similar to Lenox Tan, perhaps slightly darker. I've forgotten the name of what I used, but it wasn't a BM colour.

I am not sure if I should go with a neutral colour or not. I was also considering a blue, BM Schooner AF 520, but not sure if that would be too much blue. A lot of the products that are on our shelves have blue packaging...think "Microsoft" blue or the blue from "Brother" packaging.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I would want to opt for something modern and techie looking....how about a wide stripe or two that went around the room that has an angle or a step in it for energy?

As usual, I can't find a pic of what I have in mind...but here's an alternative...but this is too formal and staid and office looking.

I'm thinking instead of something with higher color contrast....

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:34AM
Annie Deighnaugh

More like this, but these colors are too dark...

Eclectic Bedroom design

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:36AM
Debra Wright

Hmm, I've never attempted anything like that. Could it work on just a feature wall? I'll look for more pictures of similar effects. Thanks for the idea.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 12:44PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes it could work on just a feature wall. It's easy to accomplish just with painters tape and some careful measuring.

Think about what other colors you have in the space...flooring? cabinets? counters? ceiling? You want to be able to select colors that will work well with all surfaces.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:40AM
Debra Wright

The ceiling is typical 2x4 ft. white tiles, the flooring is a linoleum that is made to look like wood in darker colours of cherry/mahogany (?). We have a bigger U shaped desk in a dark brown/chestnut colour.

Those would be the fixed colours. The shelving and peg board can be painted.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:43AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd suggest asking on the home decor forum as well....

I'd think about painting 3 walls in a soft neutral gray like BM Horizon or gray owl and then paint the 4th wall...probably behind the wall where the desk is or the one that's furthest from the front door and paint it with a strong color....has to be one that you like as it will be prominent in the space... like a BM peacock blue for more energy or BM new hope gray for a more conservative look. You can really put any color with the gray so if there's a color in your logo, this would be the place to add it if you like it. (You can go toward the oranges or the greens or even yellows.) You can then paint it with the stripe of gray at an angle running through the colored wall for more energy.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 9:09AM
Debra Wright

I really appreciate your input and I like your ideas. I have done as you suggested and posted it in the Home Decor section as well.

With your idea of the blue and gray together, I found this on the Benjamin Moore site: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/rooms-by-colour/fresh-modern-living-space

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue/Gray combo

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Latex Paint Care Fee
I live in Minnesota - the Land of 10,000 Taxes. Our...
geoffrey_b
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Sponsored Products
Taylor Dual Bath Light
Signature Hardware
Perch Pharmacy Table Lamp
Lightology
Fontana Table Lamp by FontanaArte
$825.00 | Lumens
Italian Hand-painted Multicolor Fun Wine Glasses (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Black Forest Eight-Day Musical Hand-Painted Flowers 12-Inch Cuckoo Clock
Bellacor
RenWil Queensland Set of 2 Wall Decor
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™