Painting Manufactured Cedar Shake Siding

wruwtrixMarch 11, 2011

I purchased a small 1950 home a couple of years ago and I really need to paint the garage (paint flaking off the wood siding - major project). Since I'll be painting the garage, I'm also planning to paint my house at the same time. I'm planning to go with a medium grey color over the original siding.

My house has cedar shake siding in a kind of rust red. The shakes are regularly ridged less than 1/8"- some sort of manufacturing process maybe? There is no flaking of the paint on my house - almost as though the shakes were manufactured in that color or stained with an opaque stain. I have no idea when it was last treated, painted, or stained. The shakes are getting pretty dry (almost spongy). I don't consider this a permanent fix, but I would like another few years to save up for nicer replacement siding.

Any tips or tricks for painting cedar shakes? I would really like to spray latex primer then paint (I have the equipment available and hand brushing that all sounds pretty awful). I'm assuming that primer is necessary for the paint to stick properly. Do I want to power wash first?

Any suggestions on application, products, and warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

If the substrate is in poor condition you may have an adhesion problem. That doesn't mean it won't adhere today, but it does mean it may peel in a few weeks or a few months. It all depends on the moisture content inside the failing shingle.

Given that the siding is failing, I wouldn't prime it. I would repaint it with a solid color acrylic stain. Even so, that product requires prepping steps to achieve proper adhesion.

Sherwin Williams Woodscapes is one product.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™