Widely-available alternative to Acrylacq?

andaleeMarch 28, 2012

I'm dizzy from all of the descriptions of various clear finishes for wood, and their various pro's & con's. Does anyone know of something as safe as (or nearly so) Acrylacq, but widely available? We're finishing pine T&G for the ceiling before putting it up, and I just can't bear to google anymore . . . I need an intelligent life form with experience to add a reasonable opinion. ;o)

Any thoughts?

(Cross-posted to the woodworking forum, because I'm desperate. :o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Old-fashioned shellac? Like Zinsser Sealcoat. Available everywhere, 100% non-toxic. It contains ethanol, but that's not considered a VOC. Four coats easily applied per day.
FWIW
Casey

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045

Really good idea Casey. The main drawback to shellac is that it gets easily damaged by water or alcohal marks from drinks etc, but nobody is going to be eating on the ceiling. If you don't want much darkening, you use the clear or use the yellow to get a golden tone.

However, the op may be concerned with just the smell which would be strong if used inside although if andelle drinks, then this could be called one on the house. The nice thing is that it dries almost instantly and one could easily work outdoors on some sawhorses. One shouldn't have to worry about bugs and dust because of the drying speed and any problems can be sanded down in a flash.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Paint color choice is holding up the job, would appreciate your help
I know a lot of people ask for paint help, here's one...
peggie123
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™