Apply primer with a roller on small area?

tom418March 31, 2012

I'm touching up areas around newly installed outlet and switch boxes.

My spackling (with joint compound)came out great. I decided to use Zinnser primer before I painted with Ben Moore.

Problem: So as to get a "textured look" around the boxes to match the rest of the wall, (painted with a roller), I used one of those small rollers after applying the primer with a brush. The roller seems to have created tiny "craters" in the surface. Naturally, I didn't follow suit on the remaining five switch boxes.

Questions: Can I second coat with primer (with brush?), or should I re-apply compound, sand, ans start over?

Will I be able to try a roller again with the actual color coat?

Could by roller be defective? Not enough paint (I may not have "loaded" the roller properly, due to the very small nature of the job)?

NOTE: The only reason I'm using the roller is to attempt to blend the touch up work with the rest of the wall. I used 150 and 220 paper to sand the compound, and don't have the

texture that the rest of the painted wall has from roller use.

Are the craters I see the result of the compound being removed by primer? If so, how come I didn't have the same problem after applying primer with my 1 inch sash brush?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Are the craters I see the result of the compound being removed by primer? If so, how come I didn't have the same problem after applying primer with my 1 inch sash brush?

I cannot visualize what you are talking about but if the brush worked, just keep using the brush

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 6:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom418

If the brush finish would have matched the rest of the wall, I wouldn't have used the roller.

Anyone else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's what I mean by cratering

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™