Best Rustoleum Paint for Exterior Metal

kendog2March 26, 2012

We just purchased a used trampoline. The frame is a faded green. It looks like the original coating was a fine textured paint. We're considering Repainting with Rustoleum hammered finish. The hammered finish doesn't require primer. Does anyone know if hammered paint is more resistant to fading than the Rustoleum Fine Textured paint? I like the original textured finish but we want to use the most durable finish since our area gets a lot of hot sunlight.

We plan on washing the frame and letting it dry for a day. Then sanding with medium grit sanding sponges and using a tack cloth before applying about 3 coats of the hammered paint. Did I leave out any important steps? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

Using an oil based paint will guarantee a faded look. Rustoleum is a good name but a questionable product. I recommend asking your local independent paint dealer what product he would recommend.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:34PM
kendog2

Jumpilotmdm, thank you for your advice. I wasn't aware that Rustoleum paint isn't that good of a product. Do you mean that oil based paint fades faster than water based?

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:40AM
Jumpilotmdm

Most do, yes. You can drive by and inspect any house and see where the oil finish coats are by the amount of fade, usually as a dark color, like shutters?
See if they make anything in acrylic that will give you a similar look. Acrylic doesn't fade near as bad but it absolutely must have a primer and anything with rust should be wire brushed and hit with rusty metal [red oxide] primer in addition to the whole-frame primer, which can be almost anything.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 7:10PM
ionized_gw

"whole-frame primer"

What's that?

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 1:58PM
Jumpilotmdm

If you use an acrylic you will need to prime everything, but you might not want to prime everything with red oxide as it is not usually a large surface primer, unless you're doing a metal roof or rusty front door. The whole thing could be primed with znisser cover stain or similar white, oil primer.
Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
Drywall in Garage
Our garage is unpainted and we'd like to spruce it...
bahacca
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™