BM Advance paint chipping off

mleeb17March 31, 2013

Hello....looking for some help! I currently have painted cabinets with BM Satin Impervo. The painter I had never painted the insides so I have decided to tackle this myself. Also in the process I decided to use a slightly different color (White Dove instead of stock white)....which has lead me to have to do a touch up coat on the outsides. I was highly recommended to use the newer Advance paint due to less odors with 2 small kids at home. I was told by a painter I could paint right over the Impervo with Advance but I'm finding it easily scratches off with a finger nail. Any thoughts on doing it this way? Maybe I should do the outsides with the Impervo and insides with Advance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wolfpackmom

If it is scratching off - a layer of paint did not adhere to the previous layer of paint.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:20PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Did you let it cure for 30 days?
I thought not.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:37AM
phxphoto

Latex, oil, or hybrid, hard-curing enamel paints are only hard once they've cured.

If you just painted your cabinets hours, days, or even a few weeks ago, they absolutely will scratch off with a fingernail if that's what you set out to do. If the previous Impervo coat was gloss, scuffing the existing paint would have been well-advised, but even then your current dilemma is not necessarily poor adhesion. Uncured enamel will be damaged if you subject it to damage.

Always make sure to read the directions for the products you're using. In the case of Advance, Benjamin Moore advises that painted surfaces should be out of use for at least 3-5 days, and that full hardness may not occur for 30 days. (The same directions also apply to most enamels.) If you're still having issues at that 30 day mark, then there's a cause for concern.

Until then, quit digging at it with your fingernails. ;)

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:57AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Until then, quit digging at it with your fingernails. ;)

you got it

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 4:08AM
mleeb17

ok ok I'll stop scratching it. It has only been 7-10 days since I painted. Thank you for your responses.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:54PM
snookums2

lol, what did we ever do with.out the internet.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™