Refinishing wood stair railings

NorthlutMarch 18, 2012

We are considering making an offer on a house that has beautiful stained wood railings along the stairs, but they're pretty worn and look like they need to be sanded down and re-stained. What type of contractor would I hire to do that kind of work? Is this something a general painting contractor would do (with high quality workmanship)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would think a hardwood floor refinisher would be the right type of craftsperson for that work. Let's see what others say...

    Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Good idea Andreadeg!


Some Cabinet-shops may have people they refer-out for these kinds of jobs. Some may be retired people who like tasks like this!
Some cabinet-installers may like these as "side jobs".
Some painters' are also good at wood-working/refinishing.

Check your areas service-directories, hardware/paint stores, etc.
Some Realtors may also have leads!


    Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 12:50AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™