Painting exterior brick - what's realistic?

chris_ontMarch 13, 2011

Hi

I have a little brick-sided bungalow. It's been painted white for quite some time.

The paint is flaking off, in some places in rather large chunks, revealing a more yellowed white paint beneath.

I would imagine that, although I could scrape or blast off most of the loose flakes, it would just continue to flake.

Someone who has done quite a bit of painting said that, if done properly (removing old paint, priming, painting etc), it would probably be just as cost effective to get vinyl siding on the house (windows and soffits are fine)

A neighbour in a similar situation just routinely scrapes off the loose stuff and repaints with exterior latex. This then (I'm guessing) would have to be done every few years.

Cost-wise, is it true that even if I do the work myself, I'd end up paying a huge sum just in paint materials? (Considering that siding is done only once)

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

A can of good exterior paint costs roughly $50 and covers about 400 square feet. You can do the math and call a local vinyl siding dealer for a comparison. But in my opinion, you would be reducing the value of your house by covering the brick with vinyl siding.

I would rather look at flaking paint than vinyl siding.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgergrrl

Yeah, the person who suggested you get put vinyl siding on your house? Don't ever talk to them again - about anything.

Any cost savings you gain in the materials of the project you run the risk of losing in equity. There is nothing good about the words bungalow and vinyl together in the same sentence. Nothing.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™