Dinner ideas using plain yogurt?

northcarolinaOctober 3, 2012

Hi all -- last night I discovered an unopened and few-days expired 16 oz container of plain yogurt hiding behind the vanilla one. It's fine, we've already started on it, but in the interest of using it pretty fast, does anyone have any good recipes calling for plain yogurt? ...or sour cream, of course, and I'll substitute. The kids have cooled off a bit on smoothies (ha). I am especially interested in something I can make for supper tonight without going to the store. We are out of meat but have a pretty good variety of other things on hand. My kids like yogurt, so the flavor is not a problem.

p.s. Looking through the fridge I see a bag of spinach that needs using up too, though whether the kids will eat a dish with spinach is always questionable. Sometimes they will, more often they won't -- which won't stop me from serving it if it fits.

p.p.s. I wonder if you can use yogurt in pizza dough? Mine always tastes like just bread, OK but boring.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Here's a video and recipe for "10-Minute Pizza Dough" using self-rising flour and yogurt. If you don't have self-rising flour you can make it yourself.

1 c. flour MINUS 2 t.
add: 1-1/2 t. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: 10-Minute Pizza Dough

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 5:26PM
annie1992

You can also make yogurt marinated chicken, or use the yogurt in lieu of sour cream to top enchiladas or a 7 layer Mexican type dip.

I use yogurt in pancakes and waffles as well as muffins, since I make my own and always have a few quarts in the fridge. I also mix it with a bit of mustard and honey to taste and use the "honey mustard dressing" that results as salad dressing or dip for chicken or fish.

Annie

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 11:11PM
Islay_Corbel

Make a sauce for grilled meat or sausages. Add to taste, garlic, chilli powder, seasoning, herbs.....

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:47AM
jimster

A recent thread talked about yogurt cucumber soup.

Jim

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 6:36AM
oasisowner

Falafel with yogurt/cucumber sauce is good too.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 8:52AM
centralcacyclist

I had a situation once where I had an abundance of both yogurt and frozen overripe bananas. I made many loaves of banana bread. Some were eaten, some were frozen. I used a sour cream banana bread recipe and subbed the yogurt for the sour cream.

Eileen

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 10:47AM
northcarolina

These are all great ideas, thanks very much!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 10:58AM
centralcacyclist

I've also made chicken paprika with yogurt and also beef stroganoff.

E

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:34AM
lpinkmountain

I use it in bread. It gives the sourdough taste without the time and fussing to maintain a starter. I have a fave. recipe if you would like.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:19PM
northcarolina

Yes, please share the bread recipe!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:42PM
laceyvail

Grate zucchini coarsely. Lightly saute garlic, add a little crushed red pepper and zucchini. Saute zucchini very lightly. Add yogurt and parmesan cheese. Serve over pasta (in this dish, not too much pasta and a lot of the zuchini sauce.)

It's delicious, though zucchini season is over until next year for me.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:10AM
lpinkmountain

Sorry it took so long on the bread recipe. Here it is, from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger

Yogurt bread recipe. Makes 1 1/2 lb. loaf
3/4 cup water
1 cup plain yogurt
3 1/2 cups bread flour (I use half whole wheat bread flour. You may start with less, 3 1/4 cup flour and add more if the bread seems too sticky. The difference in quantity is due to the difference in thicknesses of various brands of yogurt.)
1 TBLSP gluten (I think this recipe will work without the gluten if you can't find it)
2 tsp. salt (I use 1.5 tsp. or maybe less, but I am on a low salt diet)
2 tsp. standard yeast or 2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Put ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. I use the dough cylce and do the last rise in a bread pan and bake it in the oven. I use a 400 degree oven and the bread is done in 35-45 min. usually. I use a bread thermometer and take it out when the internal bread temp. is 180 degrees F or above. Some folks use 190 or 200 but I seem to get burned bread when I go higher than 190. Or use the "sounds hollow" when tapped on the bottom method. A lot depends on what type of bread pan you use, I just have the run of the mill coated steel ones you get in the grocery store.

I like this bread but I love it even more with raisins in it, so I add a half a cup or more of moist raisins to the bread when the machine beeps and tells me it's OK to add them. This makes great toast then, with cinnamon sugar on top.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:39PM
northcarolina

Thanks so much, it sounds great! I'll try it out when I get the chance.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™