Teenage boy shaving?

aaaaaaaaFebruary 27, 2009

Hi All,

I am a mother of 14yrs boy. He is insisting that he would like to shave his very light mustache. Though it is visible it is not that thick to shave. I think that he is too young to shave and also he does not realize that it is not one day affair.

My question is Âam I right? Is he not too young to shave already? Also if he starts shaving should I have to take any precautions apart from cutting the skin? Please advice.

Thanks

anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowspark

I don't think it will hurt him to shave. At that age, it will take a long time for it to grow back enough to shave again. Just because he shaves it doesn't mean it's going to grow back overnight. My boys had enough facial hair to start shaving around 15 or so, but at that point they were only shaving about once every several weeks.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 11:04AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Let him. Find him some nice shaving gel or foam and a good safety razor and let him practice. Fluff can look quite silly on a boy, and why would you ever discourage good grooming? There will be days you wish he wanted to shave and would do so.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 2:46PM
aaaaaaaa

Thanks lowspark and sheilajoyce. Your posts really helped me a lot. I will buy him good shaving set this week end.
Thanks again.
anna

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 2:59PM
stargazzer

And it is a myth that hair grows back faster and thicker etc.. I really dislike facial hair on men, looks nasty on "most" men. I wouldn't recognize my own son across the street with all the hair he has on his face. In my opinion they loose their individuality, they all look alike..

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 5:26PM
sue36

How about an electric razer? They don't work great for people who get a 5:00 shadow, but it sounds like it would work well for him.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 8:26PM
bnicebkind

Many girls start shaving their legs in 5th grade.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 10:10PM
Vickey__MN

The issue too isn't "is he ready to shave" It's "is Mom ready to admit her baby is really that grown up that he's ready to shave". How do our babies grow up that fast and get older when we don't. I hate that, don't you. Yes Mom, he did, sad isn't it. Get that picture for your scrap book, your baby is growing up.

None of the above was meant to be mean, or ill spirited, trust me, I've been there..my babies are grown up, one has a baby of her own. The other should really shave his back!!

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 3:57AM
houseful

My husband, very Italian, was shaving in the sixth grade. So, I wasn't surprised when my son started about that age too. I would rather see a bit of thicke stubble than that fine hair that makes them look dirty all the time, if you know what I mean, LOL! Plus, I love it when he smells nice from the shaving cream. He hates, though, because I smooch on him. ;>D

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 8:48AM
sweeby

Mine got an electric razor for his 12th birthday!
(And he needed it)

If he's interested, use that to get the job done!
I'm totally with Houseful about that fuzz just making them look dirty.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 6:26PM
christy2828

Awww....I'm pregnant with my first boy :) Look what I have to look forward to!!!!

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 10:25PM
stargazzer

i have a cousin who didn't take his shirt off unless he had to. Looked like an ape, but he joked about it.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 3:19PM
Vickey__MN

Shhhh....DD#1 is a hairdresser..she was over yesterday cutting her brothers hair (he's 24)...she uses the hair clippers on his back too....he said it's way better than when he tried to wax his back...WWWWAAAAYYYY less painful!!! But don't tell anyone I told you he does get his back shaved...

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
I don't trust future son-in-law, what should I do?
My daughter is old enough to be his mother. I have...
suz16
parents of estranged adult children
I too have been where all of you are. I am so happy...
jan09
Abusive Adult Children
I dont know how much more I can take. I have a 30 yo...
magoo_2006
Teacher won't answer my question
This is pretty straightforward. My daughters' teacher...
mdmtnwmn
A harness for a child that old ?
Looking for a safety harness to keep an escapist toddler...
jo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™