Painting Vinyl Siding

EnglishproverbMarch 24, 2012

I am considering painting the vinyl siding on my house. The original post in this forum is from 2007 - any updates? Is Sherwin-Williams (still) a good choice for paint? Is primer a good idea, and, if so, recommendations? Thoughts on TSP for prep?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

Clean the chalk off with TSP or similar solution. Follow the label directions and consider a mildew killer in with it, not a strong bleach solution but one with a releasing agent & therefore weaker.
Always prime when painting outside. It can be the best coat.
Mid sheen finish coat, probably satin or eggshell. Do the best job you Can now and it might last 25 years.
My previous experience was painting single 8 vinyl that was originally robins egg blue and after a fire not available in same color. So I bought white and lapped in in and painted with P&L aqua satin and the new white held nicely whereas the old blue buckled slightly in a few places. Not bad though, i'd do it again for sure as i was generally happy with the end result.
NO DARK COLORS. Ask the paint company for the LRV, light reflecting value to help determine how dark you can go.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™