prepping nicotine stained walls

elschMarch 12, 2010

Hi there. I am moving into a house where a smoker lived there are nicotine stains on the walls. What is the most efficient way to prep? I don't mind using TSP and rinsing heavily if it means I won't have to use Zinsser BIN, if I could get away with using a water based, less smelly primer, I'd put in the extra elow grease as not to inhale the fumes of BIN.

But from reading here, it seems everyone recommends BIN, so should I just use a liquid TSP substitute,( the bottle says I dont have to rinse), will that clean it enough if I then apply BIN?

Or oxiclean? Or is a vinegar rinse after powdered TSP?

Any input is appreciated,

I'd like to do this as efficiently as possible.

Thank you!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

You will need to clean the walls.etc with one of the products you mentioned AND use the BIN, There are no other options IMHO

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 5:36AM
trancegemini_wa

"so should I just use a liquid TSP substitute,( the bottle says I dont have to rinse), will that clean it enough if I then apply BIN? "

you will have to rinse it, not to get the tsp off but to clean away the nicotine. If the paint is in good condition and only nicotine stained you may find after washing it that it doesnt need painting but you definitely want to wash down those walls before you paint

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 9:34PM
elsch

Well, I tried the Jasco TSP no rinse substitute using a sponge mop. I just ran passes of the mop until some of the grime foamed up and then swiped clean with the same mop and tsp water. So I didn't rinse it with other water The walls are definitely better, but not perfectly clean, is it ok to apply the BIN now?

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 12:38AM
catmd

Hi

I work at a paint store and you will need to rinse the walls with fresh clean water, otherwise you are not really removing the TSP.

Wait for the walls to dry then apply BIN. A shellac base primer is the only type of primer that will successfully remove the nicotine stains. A water base will not.

Friendly type. Water base primers great for drywall and for adhesion. Oil/ shellac base are great for stain blocking and for MDF and new wood.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 11:33PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Wait for the walls to dry then apply BIN. A shellac base primer is the only type of primer that will successfully remove the nicotine stains. A water base will not.

Just to clarify, the BIN will cover and seal the stain, not remove it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 5:00AM
More Discussions
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™