Paint recommendation suspended ceiling tile rails?

wynswrld98February 4, 2011

I need to paint the rails in my suspended ceiling that has acoustical ceiling tiles. The rails are currently generic white as bought at places like Home Depot/Lowes. I want to go to dark brown and a mandatory requirement is an absolute minimum of sheen, preferably flat paint.

Anyone have any experience with painting suspended ceiling rails? What is best for durability? Taking ceiling tiles in/out over time working on electrical/plumbing/HVAC/etc. in ceiling could result in some rubbing of ceiling tiles to rails so would like to find a paint that is durable.

I plan on rolling the paint on the rails while the tiles are removed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wynswrld98

bump!

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 9:52PM
wynswrld98

bump again, someone must have painted an acoustical ceiling??! Help!

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 11:14PM
globe199

I assume you're talking about painting the grid and not the tiles themselves.

We're doing this right now -- painting the metal ceiling grid in two rooms. But we just started, so I have no idea of the long-term reliability. We're using a Behr Ultra flat paint/primer combo in Ultra Pure White. It was expensive, but I'm hoping that it will pay off with better hiding and adhesion.

One room has an ugly early-80s off-white grid. That room is about two-thirds done. The other room has a black (!) grid with white tiles. It's flippin ugly :(

The off-white grid has a sort of texture to it. So far the paint seems to be adhering with no problem. The black grid has a much smoother finish. In both cases, I'll clean the grid with water and a paper towel before painting, just to remove dust.

I'm replacing the tiles in the off-white room. They used to have these kind-of carpeted tiles with fiberglass insulated backing. They're purple/gray in colour. I'm replacing them with white Armstrong Oasis tiles.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 4:30PM
wynswrld98

Thanks globe199! Yep I'm talking about the grids, not tiles. So you agree going flat makes the most sense, hopefully the Behr paint/primer combo works out, makes sense to do it all in one paint vs. separate primer and paint processes.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 10:18PM
globe199

Also...I find that I rarely need to fully remove tiles to do work above the ceiling. I usually just push the tile up and out of the way. So I'm guessing that at least in my case, the tiles won't have a lot of opportunity to come in contact with the painted surface of the grid.

Definitely wouldn't use anything other than flat, since you don't want distracting reflections.

These suspended ceilings are both a blessing and a curse :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™