Help! Braiding and beads questions!

TaraWaferJanuary 14, 2002

DD is 2 1/2 and she is half black/half white. I am trying to braid her hair and then put beads in. Are there any tricks to getting the beads on? And is there any other way to keep the beads on besides a rubberband? I am really bad at being able to get a rubberband on the bottom of her hair. Which is why I normally only put lots of little ponytails in instead of the braids.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

-Tara W

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amygdala

Orthodontic rubber bands are tiny. That sometimes helps if using even normal 'small' rubber bands is difficult because of small amounts of hair.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 12:58AM
lisa_fla

Have you seen the Twist A Braid machines at Target? They look real easy, but I don't know if it really is.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 9:48AM
SherriJ

My daughter likes to wear a single long, thin braid with beads in her hair. I tie a few strands of embroidery floss at the top of the braid, then braid the floss in with her hair. Whenever I want to put a bead in, I thread it through the bottom end of the floss, push it up and continue braiding. DD likes multicolored strands in her braid, but if this isn't the look you're going for, you could use a color similar to your dd's hair - I'll bet it would blend right in. Much easier than trying to poke hair through a bead!

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 5:27PM
elfinidae

Why don't you take her to a kids' hairstylist (maybe one who specializes in "ethnic hairstyles," as they call it) and watch what they do? I bet they'd have lots of helpful hints.

Bookmark   January 16, 2002 at 12:05PM
TaraWafer

Thank you all for your help. I was finally able to do it. It took a total of 3 hours (although not 3 hours straight). And it turned out really cute. :) I just thought I would let you all know.

Thanks again!

-Tara W

Bookmark   January 16, 2002 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Normal Behaviour?
I'll keep this short... is it normal that 10 year olds...
gtrshop
Nearly 10wks pregnant & have questions
This is my first pregnancy at 24. I don't have many...
LullabyF360
estrangement from adult children
There seems to be a very common thread with all these...
ruth3dogs
18 year old daughter disrespectful
I am hoping to get some advice. My daughter who is...
anakasha
Abusive Adult Children
I dont know how much more I can take. I have a 30 yo...
magoo_2006
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™