rust

ionized_gwFebruary 22, 2012

Can anyone comment on the use and quality of rust reformer coatings? I have an iron porch railing that is much decayed where the posts enter into the concrete landing and steps (posts 75-100% gone). I would like to get a few more years out of the whole thing before needing to replace. I need to spread out my larger home renovation and repair costs for tax reasons.

I is so difficult to get rid of 100% of the rust without renting a sand blaster. I'd like to wire brush it off and coat with something that will not just bubble up right away.

I am looking at Loctite Extend rust treatment. They would like to see a coat of "high build epoxies", coal tar epoxies, catalyzed urethanes, vinyls, chlorinated rubber" before coating with latex. Do you chemists out there see any problem with this? How about suggestions for the barrier coating?

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

A person good at welding small repair pieces MAY be able to strengthen it by tacking-on small repair strips.
Call Body-Shops, etc.

Faron

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Thanks, Faron. eventually I will look at repairing or replacing it. We may make major changes to that porch/entry at some point after I get lots of other stuff settled down. It is strong enough even with most of the supports eroded. In fact, a welder has moved in across the street and one house down. I am sure he will be able to fix me up if and when I decide to do a major repair in the existing rail.

Right now, if anyone could address the barrier coat issue, I would be grateful. I have not tried a local paint store yet. The Locktite product looks like a good one. There is obviously a redox reaction between it and any existing iron oxide. There is probably some reserve reducing agent in the coating to prevent more rust as time goes on.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Sponsored Products
Decatur Rust One-Light Pendant with Frosted Glass
$336.95 | Bellacor
Alliyah Handmade Multi Abstract New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Celina Four-Light Dark Rust Island Pendant with Fire Red Glass
$390.00 | Bellacor
Cool Green Vineyard Swivel Bar Chair
$89.99 | zulily
Alfresco Home Lista Swivel Cast Aluminum Dining Chair - Set of 2 Multicolor - 22
$849.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Classic Heirloom Beige Wool Rug (8' Square)
Overstock.com
simplehuman Fold-Away Squeegee
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Sunburst Hoop Modern Lounge Chair in Turquoise
$397.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™