To parents of other heavy gamers...

saraberaJanuary 26, 2013

Please do not attempt to moderate or restrict your son's access to on-line gaming until you have educated yourself about gaming addiction and have prepared, put a plan in place!

We are in the process of trying to wean our 15 year-old off of gaming. He is down to 2 hours a day. Things are getting a bit better, but he is still obviously very addicted. All he thinks about is when can he get back on. Every day is a battle and he is mad a lot of the time. We can't get him to go anywhere with us (not even family get-togethers) unless he will have access to electronics the entire time. He says we can solve that by getting him a laptop or smart phone, Uhh, we're not going down that road.

Two of the resources that have been really helpful for us are 1) A book by Dr. Hilary Cash called "Video Games and Your Kids". She was one of the first to recognize gaming addiction and also has an in-patient treatment center in Washington state. 2) The OLGA website (on-line gaming addiction). Here you can read stories from ex-gamers and other parents and spouses. Very enlightening. If you are concerned about your child's obsessive behavior please check them out. I have dark concerns about the gaming addiction that keep me up at night.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popi_gw

Thanks for that info and I wish you well with your son.

My son is 20 and he is outside my control now, but I know he does spend a fair bit of time gaming. At the moment he is overseas on a 2month holiday, so he certainly won't be gaming now. For me, I think he is sensible enough now, to know how he can waste time sitting in front of a game.

I see so many people when I am out and about, on trains, buses, standing at the station - and almost everyone is glued to an electronic devise. I am not sure if this is a bad thing, it is just an observation.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 9:19PM
colleenoz

>>he certainly won't be gaming nowAre you sure, popi? Online games can be accessed from anywhere in the world that has internet access.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:37AM
c9pilot

Thank you for posting this! I am going to find those resources immediately!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:14PM
Delora88

Two hours? My son sometimes spends 12-14 hours playin computer games...I think we should install PCWebControl or any other parental control software to stop them...

Bookmark   January 16, 2015 at 9:15AM
gtrshop

Most people don't use features of the home router that can manage all of this. Set schedules, block sites, ban entirely a device from connecting at all. Take control of your home network, regain control of your kids...

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
estrangement from adult children
There seems to be a very common thread with all these...
ruth3dogs
My Fledgling
Hello everyone. I've never posted in this section before,...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
mothers estranged from adult children
Hi Ladies. I'm new here and there was a post at the...
sadmother.2
Please help me!
I have been dating my boyfriend for about 2 years....
gsdkira23
18 year old daughter disrespectful
I am hoping to get some advice. My daughter who is...
anakasha
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: MARAZZI Flooring Artea Stone 13 in. x 13 in.
$2.97 | Home Depot
Antique Brass Whitehaus WHKPFSCR3-9000 Cross Retractable Kitchen Pot Filler
$359.00 | Blue Bath
Tom Dixon | Glass Light - Bead Pendant
$425.00 | YLighting
Shires Equestrian Bale Bag - 964
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Original Karastan Multi Panel Kirman Rug (8'8 Round)
Overstock.com
P8067 Flushmount by George Kovacs
$170.00 | Lumens
Tudor Urn Antique Silver 86-inch to 120-inch Double Curtain Rod
$79.95 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Kingston Bronze
$74.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™