frameless cabinet specs please (gaps between each drawer)

illinigirlFebruary 3, 2014

how tight can I expect my custom cabinet maker to get the gaps between the drawers (top to bottom and side to side)? I have a meeting tomorrow and when I ask about their specs I'd like to have a frame of reference.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsem

Mine are pretty tight. I don't really have stacks next to each other, but between cabinets (one door back to the next door back) looks like about 1/4 in, maybe less? The drawers are all very tight top to bottom, definitely less than 1/4 in, more like 1/8 or less in most places. They gaps look wider in pictures from the front because of the edge profile, but looking from the side not much space at all.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 4:07PM
ajc71

Thickness of a nickel should be just about perfect...have been using that trick for years, much easier then trying to measure 2MM (or a light 3/32") via tape measure!

There is no real standard that I know of, the higher end European brands are pretty much right at 2MM...American brands tend to be closer to 1/8"...of course that is based on my personal experience

I would suggest keeping a slightly larger gap between the bottom of the counter and the top of any doors/drawer fronts

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 4:38PM
suzanne_sl

I have 1/8" in each direction. It looks like 1/4" from the front because of the bevel at the face of the drawers, but pull the drawers out and measure and it's 1/8" on the nose.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 4:41PM
jakuvall

I'm used to 1/16" per edge making 1/8 between doors, drawers both side to side and top to bottom. Bottom edges flush, top edges 1/4.
Nickel sounds good if making em.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:11PM
andreak100

We're in the process of getting "adjusted" now that cabinets are installed...we are about 1/8". Truth be told, that narrow of a gap is making me a little nervous...I keep thinking that they are going to hit one another.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 8:52PM
Trebruchet

More important than a particular thickness of a space is consistency.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™