Why is the formula for my quart tester not close to the gallon?

parma42February 23, 2008

I had decided on SW Blonde and Ivoire for most of my house. Got the quart testers and painted some samples downstairs.

My painter came and did the master bedroom in a combo of those two. I then started wondering if the Blonde was going to be too light for the 2story family room with a southwest exposure. I looked at the formula on the cans. The Blonde quart was the same base as the gallon and a mixture of raw umber, new red and deep gold. The gallon was a mix of black, maroon and deep gold.

What's up with that or is it just a stupid consumer(me)not understanding the procedure?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Parma,
That means one of those 2 cans was a color-match!
* The Qt. & Gallon should have the same colorants, just in different proportion.
* There's NO reason for different colorants just because the size of the can's different.

OR, were you looking at the Qt. of one color, and the Gallon formula of another...by accident?!

Faron

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 10:58PM
parma42

Thanks for your answer.

I called my Sherwin Williams store and here's what they said...Yes, it's kind of weird but the colors to go quart testers are a different kind of paint than the Cashmere you picked for your house and the colorants look different in the two so we change the formula to adjust.

I did some samples of the two Blondes and there is a bit of a difference in the color. The Ivoire formulas are out of whack too. Tester was roughly 4 parts of raw umber to 7 parts deep gold. Cashmere was around 3 32s black, 1 64 maroon and 41 32s deep gold. Don't know where the maroon popped up. This is the color that will be in a lot of my space downstairs.

Did I just waste $100 and lots of time on these samplers? Also wonder how they color match from their computer. If say someone wants a BM color match and the computer has the formula, will it automatically adjust for the Cashmere or will it just spit out the same for both?

Thanks again,
Michelle

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 10:23AM
Faron79

I forgot about their Colors-to-go!

How much are "those" quarts...relative to a Qt. of the ACTUAL paint??
Because it's different material, the colorant difference is logical...but still, actual paint samples are the best route.
ZERO difference that way!

Faron

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™