Snowflakes

RatherbgardeningDecember 12, 2005

I had a thought of making paper snowflakes into ornaments and I wanted to see what you folks could suggest to stiffen them without discoloring them, although I could coat them in glitter. Also, how could I get the fold lines out since we fold the paper to cut them. I thought maybe a steam iron might do it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Red_Confetti

Once paper is folded, it will never look like the original flat sheet again... when you fold paper, the fibers are broken and will never mend. Ironing will help, but you will still see vestiges of the creases.

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone will mind seeing the creases... that is part of the beauty of a handmade star!

Spraying with acrylic will help stiffen the paper a bit. I think your idea of glitter would be nice. It may even stick to the wet acrylic spray... give it a try!

When I once worked in a public library we made dozens and dozens of cut-paper snowflakes and hung them from the ceiling, using fishing line. We did not coat them with anything, and we made them from cheap copy-machine paper. When we hung them vertically, they stayed fairly flat, and no one could see the creases because the snowflakes were so close to the ceiling.

Bookmark   December 12, 2005 at 8:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minnie_tx

I think Carl Duval had some kind of a 3-D snowflake ornament that she made out of the foam trays that meat comes on or like those foam plates. If you google her show I think you'll find the instructions.

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
card envelopes!
HI i have learned to make beautiful cards on computer...
rosessecretgarden
large handmade paper
i've been making small, thick 5x7 sheets and have had...
turtle_lover
Scottish creations....
Simply amazing... Here is a link that might be useful:...
nmgirl
Patterns for paper cutting
Hi-- is anyone besides me interested in the art of...
frabee
Removing odor from paper wreath
I recently purchased, on line , several wreath made...
joyce58
Sponsored Products
6 Lights Rustic Industrial Style Snowflake Shape Pendant Light
ParrotUncle
EarthWorks� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Geography &
$255.95 | Bellacor
Black Whiteflake Pillow Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Frozen Olaf 16-Oz Tumbler
$8.99 | zulily
'Blue Sky Holiday' Coir Outdoor Door Mat
Overstock.com
Pointehaven Snow Flake Flannel Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Winter Wind Canvas Wall Art by Megan Duncanson - 30W x 16.5H in. - ART012HN
$81.87 | Hayneedle
New Unique Snowflake Design Kazak Runner 3' X 9' Hand Knotted Red Wool Rug H3693
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™