Brown Turkey Fig Tree info

mamatoadMarch 31, 2013

Someone asked about the fig tree and the Mandarin Orange tree that I mentioned planting today. The Brown Turkey Fig is supposed to be the same as the ones we had in Mississippi many years ago, but there is a difference. Here in Arizona, it gets confused and makes three crops of figs, beginning in June and lasting until December! The Mandarin Orange that we planted is a new one that we have not tried to grow before. We do have a couple of orange trees that provide the entire neighborhood with oranges plus a huge lemon tree and a smaller one (Meyer) that is covered in blooms now. We're hoping for another abundant crop!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maire_cate

Here in the cold Northeast we can't grow citrus but I gave DH a tiny fig tree this week. It's a Chicago hardy and the name caughte my eye - if it can survive a Chicago winter then it should be fine here in the Philadelphia area.

How lovely to have fresh fruit from your own backyard.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 6:37AM
kayjones

I have a couple of fig trees - the fruit, fresh from the tree, is delicious!!!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 6:45AM
OklaMoni

since I bought this house, I planted a peach tree, an apricot tree and a fig. I just went and looked, it is a Chicago hardy fig.

I also planted 4 blue berry bushes, and strawberry plants. I can't wait for fruit....

OklaMoni

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:55AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

maire cate, you'd be surprised how many people grow citrus in containers, in the cold Northeast! Some varieties are surprisingly adaptable.

I just love the look of a fig tree, but HATE figs. I should plant one just for the really neat ornamental value, though.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:07AM
carol_in_california

We have a 40 year old Meyer lemon tree here.....produces tons of lemons all year long.
Our neighbor has an orange tree and a tangerine tree and the people down the street has a fig tree and a quince.
The plum tree next door is nearing it's end but we have enjoyed great plums for years.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:52PM
petaloid

We have a White Genoa fig tree that I need to re-pot into a bigger container. It's small right now but already has five figs on it. When they are ripe they are delicately sweet and yummy.

I remember a neighbor's Brown Turkey fig tree. It got to be at least 15 feet high and very wide.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
How do I stop email notifications?
Can't figure it out, but it's annoying. I don't need...
sleeperblues
Do you belive "It's better to have loved and lost..." ?
Reflecting on my past, I had a love back in my twenties,...
pickyshopper
What did you do, during the recent cold and snow?
I shoveled, I baked, I baked and I recovered chair...
OklaMoni
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Wine & Painting Classes
Is this a local phenomenon, or are these wine &...
party_music50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™