Paint vs stain on pine Pella French doors with interior shades

MdKateFebruary 13, 2013

Just got new Pella French doors which have built-in shades between glass. Unfinished pine interiors. Was going to stain but think now pine stained will show more imperfections. But.issue with painting is that the shade slider mechanisms on rim that gets raised or lowered look as if they'd scrape paint every time shade is used. Is this the case or how do others deal with painting this? Regretting now paying more for the shade Designer series. And if we can't paint, is there another stain option? Someone mentioned Bush Oil but we don't want to touch these pricey doors without guidance. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MdKate

Have read raves about this product but all reviewers are usig it on cherry, oak or other good wood, not unfinished pine. So before ewe do anything, want to check with those on this site. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Yea, this is the problem with Pella. They just design stuff the way they want and never consider the finishing process. Whether it is stained or painted, unless you are always very careful (which nobody is) you will eventually scratch up the paint or the stain. Overall I think a properly poly'd surface is more durable than a painted one, but paint is easier to touch up, so I think it's about even which ever way you go. Don't you want that door to match the other trim in the room?

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™