Tile recommendation that looks like wood?

twingleFebruary 3, 2013

I would love wood floors in my kitchen but I don't know if we could. My house is on a crawl space. I have 4 boys and a 130 pound Bernese Mountain Dog. Is wood an option? What about engineered wood floors? If tile is the best choice are there any tiles that mimic the look of wood floors?? I have ceramic tile now and they are hold and hard and cracked. So I really tired of the whole tile thing. Any suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeitgast

There are some nice pocelain wood tiles out there (click link). Will still be cold unless you put radiant heating under them. Sounds like you would prefer wood though. Engineered floors are very good these days.

Here is a link that might be useful: porcelain wood

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 3:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellendi

I love the look of ceramic tiles that look like wood and have them in our TV room which is off the garage. It works well there as we often use the garage entrance to come and go.
However, even if you heat it for your kitchen, it is still hard on the legs and feet, if you drop a glass it will shatter and of course if you drop something heavy you can chip a tile. Don't get me started on the dirty grout lines.
If you go with wood, use a low gloss finish and you won't really notice the scratches. You can put scatter rugs in the high traffic areas. Enjoy them and then when the kids and dog are older you can have them refinished.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Help design custom sink--mitigating risk
I posted here about the possibility of a marble sink...
crl_
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™