Need help with baseboard/trim color

micah323February 27, 2011

Hello,

I am remodeling my townhouse. I am going for a soft contemporary look. Not cold modern.

My floors are a dark walnut, the paint in the home is Ralph Lauren Cinderblock, a long accent wall in Behr Pencil Point, and I also used Behr Elephant skin.

I have 5" baseboards installed.

The room is somewhat dark so I want to do white baseboards that pop out (plan to add crown molding later)

What color white can you recommend. The baseboards were previously painted Swiss Coffee, and that is also the color my painter came up with. Should I use this or should I go with a bright white?

Do I play it safe and stick with semi gloss, or should I follow some advice I have seen on the web and go with a bright white high gloss?

I guess the baseboards and door jambs will be painted this color. I will also be new interior panel doors. Do I use the color that I chose for the trim and use an eggshell like the rest of the home? I am guessing that you dont paint doors with semi gloss/high gloss paint.

Thanks for the help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

All the trim and doors in my house are a high-gloss bright white. Oil. Builder made those choices. It's fine, can't say I love it tho. Touching it up is a complete and total PITA - actually it's impossible if I'm being honest.

Definitely get samples of both options - play with them for a few days, look, evaluate. It will help you determine what you really want. Egg & Swiss Coffee or a punch of shiny white.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

There was just a discussion in Home Decorating where someone was debating about Swiss Coffee vs. bright white. She started with Behr colors but ended up with Valspar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help! Quick! Swiss Coffee? Bright White? Buying today!

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
What color shutters for orangy brick house that will go up for sale?
Need advice, I'm a guy and I'm just not confident in...
Chris Rojas
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Sponsored Products
Carosella Rug 5' x 8' - LIGHT GREY
$499.00 | Horchow
Sabrina Rug 8' x 11' - WHITE/BLACK
$638.90 | Horchow
Design Element DEC026 Sierra 40-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC026
$999.00 | Hayneedle
Silver Grain Crusher
$36.99 | zulily
Crosley Newport Buffet Server with Wine Storage - KF42001CCH
$399.00 | Hayneedle