Candy Mold becomes Paper Cast Card (Including What NOT To Do)

Red_ConfettiJuly 21, 2004

I was looking at some lollipop molds and saw a big sunshine... hmmm, that could go with the words to "You Are My Sunshine" on a greeting card.

So I made a paper cast mold (as I described in the Baa Baa Black Sheep thread). It came out fine, but was pasty white, and I wanted it to be sunny yellow. So I tried using some crayons on it. A little better, but definitely not what I had in mind.

Then I thought about the Wilton Candy Colors I had somewhere... little 1/4 oz. plastic jars of very concentrated colors (got them at WalMart in the cake decorating area of the craft supplies). But I tried just tearing up the tissue paper into shreds, adding some boiling water, then some of the color, some glue, and then stirring/mooshing with a fork. Tamped the pulp into the mold and let it dry. UGH!!! Very yellow, but very LUMPY!

So on the third try, I used my old method of first laying a whole-sheet layer of paper in the mold first for a nice smooth surface finish, then spread on some of the yellow color with a paint brush, then filled up the mold with little pieces of torn paper, wet with a water/coloring/Elmer's glue mixture. I dabbed in some orange color, too, to intensify the yellow. I let that dry and it was just what I wanted! Great yellow color and smooth surface.

You can see the three attempts in this picture...

Here is the finished card. The words to the song are inside.

I hope this inspires you to see different crafting possibilities in YOUR supplies. Now I'm gonna have to look through all those other candy/lollipop molds and see what else I can make. But this time I will be certain to lay in a whole flat piece of tissue first before I add the filler pulp!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GardenGirl_IA

Oh gosh...you are so talented. You would love a chalk set to accent the molded paper.

Go check out the Cotton Press site for ideas (they have beautiful molds too!)

I forgot that I had made a cinnamon mold once using the cinnamon applesauce clay. Smells great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Press molds

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 5:54PM
Red_Confetti

Gosh, thanks, GardenGirl. A whole site with great ideas!! Wish I had known about it and had seen their instructions before I 'winged' it - LOL! I wasn't able to find the "Decorating Chalks" there, but I will keep them in mind.

I am really a cheapskate and try to use or improvise with supplies I have on hand, so I've never bought the real linter stuff... I just use plain tissues (kleenex things). I'd probably have better luck if I used the real stuff.

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 6:53PM
GardenGirl_IA

You can find the chalks in scrapbooks stores and in the craft department of Wal-Mart. I have even used my kids sidewalk chalk! I just used a q-tip to apply it.

If you have any of that outrageous '80s eyeshadow, that works well too, LOL. I use blush in a lot of my craft projects to make pink cheeks on things.

You can watercolor you paper casts too, just don't use too much water or it will turn to a sodden mess. You can use kids watercolors, or take a water based marker and "color" onto a plastic lid. Then dip your brush in water and run throught the marker residue - 'voila!

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 8:05PM
minnie_tx

very inspiring,. I can't resist candy molds for some reason and have about 100. Time I got busy and took them out of the boxes!!!

Bookmark   July 24, 2004 at 12:17PM
chinacat_sunflower

:) you can also use artist's concentrated watercolors in the water to make the paper slurry... once you get comfortable with the term 'concentrated' it's a great way to add color to things...

I've also used the shavings from my watercolor crayons sprinkled over paper, which makes an interesting confetti pattern.

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
How to remove plastic from hardboard placemats?
I have paper placemats that are on hardboard with a...
caflowerluver
Wording ideas for a Merry Christmas/We've Moved card?
We have just moved and are having our home drawn by...
zenfoodist
the screen and the pulp are in love
Does anyone else have this problem when they are making...
deans.photos2
Cardboard boxes
Hello everyone: this is my first time of this forum...
northerner_on
Quilted paper folding
I went to a rubber stamping convention on Sat. and...
AnnahE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™