Oil Mister

MizAnnThropeOctober 20, 2012

I bought a Misto, but it doesn't work most of the time and, in fact, is quite messy - drippy. Does anyone have a mister they like? Or, is there something I can do to this Misto to make it work better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

You could send it to me and I will add it to my collection of non working oil misters.
I have always been going to try mixing the oil with vodka to see if that would keep it misting better....but never have.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:36PM
dcarch7

Oil viscosity changes to thinner at higher temperatures. You can try heating the oil first to make it flow better, but that's a lot of trouble.

I use a brush to brush on oil, quicker, simpler and no mess.

Possible also to mix oil with water based liquid, you can do that with an ultrasonic device, that is call emulsification, to make the oil flow easier.

dcarch

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 2:07PM
lindac

An emulsion is thicker than either of the 2 liquids that comprise it.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 4:55PM
dcarch7

Not necessarily. Depends on the proportion of the mix.

Milk is an emulsion of butter and liquid. Milk flows much better than butter.

dcarch

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 5:33PM
lindac

Not at 110 degrees.....
And we are talking about oil, fats which are not solid at room temperature...
I have never heard of a "butter mister"...nor seen anyone express a need for one...but I guess there's always a first time.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:29PM
dcarch7

Not sure what is your point, especially about âÂÂ110 degreesâÂÂ.

My point is:

Even something as solid as butter, when emulsifies with liquid (milk) can flow as easily as water; hence there should be no problem to make oil, which is much softer then butter to have better viscosity for spraying if emulsified with a liquid in proper proportions.

This is to clarify your statement above that emulsions will always be thicker than the components which make up the emulsion.
dcarch

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:50PM
annie1992

Whatever, I've never found a mister that works worth a darn. I bought a Misto, it worked for a while. I bought a Pampered Chef mister, it worked for a couple of days. I returned it, got another one, it worked for a couple of days. I returned it, got another one, it worked for a couple of days. I threw it away.

I thought recently that maybe they had gotten better and bought a Misto. Sure enough, it doesn't work worth a darn.

So if you can figure out how to make it work better, I'm all over that! I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has better ideas.

Annie

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:46PM
lindac

Use a pastry brush!! LOL! A tried 3 oil misters, as it seems you have.....And I now use a brush....less aggrivation!!!

Butter is not a solid at 110 degrees.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:57AM
jessyf

Love your username.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:56AM
Islay_Corbel

Same here. Have tried several and none of them work.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 3:30AM
pkramer60

I must be the lucky one. I have two Mistos, one for EVOO and one for veggie oil and both work fine.

Try filling it only halfway, make sure the sprayer is clean of any gunk, and pump like mad to presurize it.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:47AM
annie1992

You must be lucky, Peppi, although I will agree that the misto was better than the Pampered Chef one. That was a piece of junk.

I bought one when I got the microwave potato chip maker for Elery that he wanted. That works great, actually, but the Misto, not so much. I pump like crazy, get a stream of oil (never a spray) and it only lasts a couple of seconds, then needs to be pumped up again to get another 2 second stream. I'd think I got a bad one, but it works just like the first one did.

Annie

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:04AM
lyndaluu2

I have the Mistos and the one for veggie oil works fine the one for EVOO doesn't work worth a darn!!!

Linda

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:14AM
lindac

I sent 2 of the Pampered chef ones back, because they didn't work....so it wasn't getting a bad one....unless I got 3 bad ones in a row.
I suspect it's because I use EVOO which turns solid in the refrigerator....and I suspect the properties are different from more "refined" oils.
Anyhow they don't work for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: properties of an emulsion

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:27AM
lpinkmountain

I got one as a gift. Nice idea but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work or not work. Could barely read the print on the directions, truth be told. I use a set of silicone pastry brushes.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:16PM
jimster

Sometimes it pays to procrastinate. I've procrastinated for years on getting one of those gadgets. Now I will save myself the trouble. Thanks, folks!

Jim

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:22PM
centralcacyclist

I have also had a couple of Mistos. They gummed right up for me, too. I use a pastry brush.

Eileen

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:48PM
jadeite

We have a couple of Mistos which work after a fashion. I use them to spray bakeware (cake pans and the like), and they will work. They don't spray as fine and controlled a mist as as aerosol like PAM, and I have to pump a lot to get them to spray a mist and not droplets, but I do use them all the time. DH also uses one for the griddle when he makes pancakes, and he says they're fine for that too.

Cheryl

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:52PM
dcarch7

"----So if you can figure out how to make it work better, I'm all over that! I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has better ideas. ---"

The use of pump action to spray oil is inherently problematic mechanically. It is probably better if they use the "Venturi" effect (no moving parts, no piston or one-way check valves.) for atomization of oil, such as in automobile carburetor design.

As I mentioned, you will be better off using a brush. However, if you insist, emulsification is a consideration.
I mentioned milk is an emulsion of liquid and butter fat, also, when you make vinaigrette with oil that too is an emulsion and thin enough to be spray-able. BTW, emulsification is the entire concept of detergents. Detergents use surfactants to emulsify dirt, oil grease muck/grime with water, so they are thin and can be washed away.

dcarch

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:09PM
bob_cville

I've had two. I loved them right up until they gummed up and stopped working. It seems to be the nature of the beast: the oil when it contacts oxygen will turn rancid and sticky. And since the mister works by pumping air into the chamber with the oil, it seems destined to turn the oil rancid and sticky, and gum up the works. After the second one stopped working I gave up.

One of the things I uses to use mine for was to spray a thin coating of oil on an omelette pan. Now I have an omelette pan the is non-stick enough on its own (even after two years of use), that I do not need to use any oil or butter to make an omelette.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:19PM
MizAnnThrope

Thanks everyone. Guess it's back to the brush for me. Since I have several of them, I think they are all bad ones. And rancid? Ewwwwww. Don't want that.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Key Lime Pie Topping Help?
I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker...
chas045
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
Sponsored Products
Bronze Oil-Rubbed Bird Collage
$11.99 | zulily
Diamond Teak Wood Wall Trellis - TRE2436
$59.99 | Hayneedle
50'' Pro Series II Ceiling Fan by Emerson Fans
$117.00 | Lumens
Hinkley Lighting | Freeport Small LED Outdoor Wall Light
$173.00 | YLighting
Basix Oil Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Chandelier
$123.00 | Bellacor