Comments on Painting Brick Fireplace

kheflwFebruary 27, 2014

Been living here for a good 9 months, I've thought of a good cleaning of the fireplace bricks, maybe a glaze to brighten them up. But now I'm considering painting. Scary cause you cannot go back after doing it.
Some photos here, it's a big fireplace, the main focus in the living room. That wood stove insert was just added this winter, it works great, so this fireplace will see a lot of fire.
I'm open to any comments, on painting or not, color, changing the mantle, adding any other decor to the brick. Anything.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kheflw

side view

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:48AM
geoffrey_b

IMO - people who paint over wallpaper or brick should be sent to a gulag in North Korea!

I'd say someone with design skills, could 'break up' that massive expanse of brick. (you can get stone / brick veneer, maybe rustic wood?). It needs a different mantle also.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 1:11PM
kheflw

had to lookup Gulag! I hear you, it's a lot of brick.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 1:26PM
lam702

I would definitely not paint the bricks! They are beautiful! Besides, if you ever plan to sell that is going to have a negative impact. I hate painted bricks. I know they are tough to clean, but a magic eraser cleans up just about everything. I would not do a thing to the fireplace. If you want to freshen up the room, paint the walls, not the bricks, please!

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 2:17PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I agree, no paint. Do something with the mantle( more wood painted white, maybe) and put a big picture above it

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 5:54PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

quote" people who paint over wallpaper or brick should be sent to a gulag in North Korea!

at the very least!

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 5:55PM
kheflw

nuff said, I've seen so many photos of painted brick, and thought a forum like this might like the idea. I will not paint the bricks.
Now, on cleaning and restoring brick, any suggestions?
The current wood mantle is pretty lame, any suggestions on a replacement reasonably priced if I can mange to do it myself?

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:02PM
WendyB

how about some crown molding and corbels? I'm not sure how you would get the same wood and stain to match the existing, but I'm sure it is do-able.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:03PM
geoffrey_b

"Now, on cleaning and restoring brick, any suggestions?"

I don't think the brick is dirty. In 1871 there was a great fire in Chicago. A lot of brick buildings were destroyed - however the brick was still OK. Thus people sold the used brick. What you have is either real Chicago used brick, or new brick that is made to look like used brick.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:14AM
graywings123

You might want to post photos of the room on the Home Decorating forum to get advice on whether to paint and what changes could be made.

I'm not opposed to painting brick (I am opposed to painting over wallpaper) but I like your brick. A larger mantel might help.

From what little I see, what's missing in your room is lighting, and the right kind of lighting might make the brick more attractive to you.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™