Kinder Surprise Eggs

johnliu_gwOctober 12, 2013

The kids are missing Kinder Surprise Eggs. You know, the tasty chocolate egg with a little plastic toy inside.

Any way to get these in the USA? They don't seem to be sold here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

This is kind of weird. The Kinder Surprise Eggs are not allowed into the USA. We have them in Canada and they are apparently in many other countries. Just not the USA. Go figure.

Here is a link to an alternative - an American version that is "legal" in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Choco Treasure

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:19PM
grainlady_ks

There have been many people arrested or detained, and the eggs confiscated bringing Kinder Eggs into the U.S. from Canada. They are considered "illegal contraband". When our daughter was living in Germany, she would fill an egg carton with them and ship us a dozen at a time. :-) -Grainlady

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:42PM
liz_h

how bizarre! Is it these in particular, or any German food?

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 8:35PM
annie1992

Liz, it's not the food, it's the toy. There is an old Act from the 30s which prohibits the embedding of foreign objects in a food item unless it has a functional value. So, a sucker stick is OK, but a toy is not. It was supposed to prevent the introduction of hazardous items into processed food and it's never been changed.

Just to make things more fun, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says that the small toys are a choking hazard, although the labels clearly state that the toys are not meant for children under 3.

So, the government is protecting us by not allowing a popular item into the country, and spending hours and dollars confiscating them. Meanwhile GMO products are not required to be labeled, China is sending us things like the pet food that killed and something that might or might not be honey and tainted toothpaste, peanut factories aren't cited for violations that result in salmonella contamination. We're safe from chocolate, though. (sigh)

Annie

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:33PM
Islay_Corbel

Our grandsons love them.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 3:45AM
kitchendetective

Teenagers applying to Ivy League schools can probably handle the safety issues.

How about King's Cakes with the little crowns inside?

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
Need Help Please.....
How does one now reach various listings such as "onions",...
Robert Givens
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Happy Birthday Lars!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARS! Wishing you a joyous year filled...
compumom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™