Need Help! We bought an ugly house!

PunkyduckktJanuary 31, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this web page as well as owning a home. My boyfriend and I recently purchased a house. The house was built in the 1950's. It is painted white with a gray roof, red shutters and a red porch. There is no landscaping other than grass. This house is UGLY on the outside and I am at a loss as to what to do with it. We are tight on money right now so painting the entire thing is out of the question right now. Does anyone have any ideas as to what colors we could paint the trim/ porch to make this look a little nicer. Also advice for garden plans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Welcome to GardenWeb, Punkyduckkt!

Pictures, we need pictures!

Take a couple photos of the front of your house, put them on a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com. Then start a thread on the Home Decorating forum asking for low budget curb appeal ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 3:46PM
ccintx

Paint the trim and porch a gray to match the shingles.Then add some potted foliage on the porch, and some rocking chairs, or porch chairs painted an accent color like cranberry, or a deep, muted red.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 6:46PM
lazy_gardens

STEP ONE: Relax. It's not nearly as ugly as you think it is. Live there for a while and decide what to do.

Also - visit the landscaping forum at Gardenweb and ask advice.

Post several pictures - GOOD ones, not fuzzy cell phone stuff:
1 - full front of house, taken from across the street so we can see the whole thing. Include approximate dimensions.

2 and 3 - Pictures taken from an angle that show the front corners and sides of the house.

READ THESE:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/56289/create_your_own_landscape_design.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/51060/frugal_landscapingdont_waste_money.html

Here is a link that might be useful: landscape forum

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™