Painting Stained Chair Rails & Cabinets

fairlight47January 29, 2011

All of the chair rails, cabinets, window frames, and interior doors in our home are stained wood in an Oak finish. I would like to paint them all white to make the house more modern and cheery. Because we have hardwood floors, I feel overwhelmed with wood. I know this is time consuming and costly if we hire a contractor, not to mention a real pain. How costly would it be in Atlanta, GA? Is this something I could do myself, over time? Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherilswanson

I have the same in my house and some areas of the house have been successfully painted. I just used a good primer such as Kilz (after cleaning the areas thoroughly), then painted. Behr now makes a paint/primer in one that I am thinking of trying on next project. I also have hardwood floors and my den seems so dark. I have not tackled this area yet because there are beams in a high ceiling that are stained. I am not sure how it would look to paint everything else and leave them. Also, I have a beautiful stained fireplace mantel that I really don't want to paint. My next project is the guest bathroom. I am going to prime the stain trim and paint it an off-white color. Then I am going to do the same with the bathroom cabinets, but after I paint them, I am going to glaze over the paint to give them an antique look. It looks relatively easy online. Good luck with your project!

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Actually Kilz is not the best primer for this. Kilz is a stain blocker. What you want is a primer designed to stick to slick surfaces like BIN. BIN also holds back stains. The Behr paint and primer in one should only be used when a primer is not really necessary, like for wall painting.

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™