Paint Shaver Pro Question

kellerbendDecember 19, 2008

Has anyone had experience with paint shaver pro, the exterior paint removal tool that's advertised in OHJ and This Old House? I have purchased a 110 yr old clapboard house that has multiple layers of old paint that needs to be removed. I've read positive reviews of it but would like some additional opinions. I am concerned that it may cut into the clap board too much. If you have any opinions I'd appreciate them. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

I have one that's a few years old. I haven't used the blades much, only the sanding discs. I have 2 inch clapboard siding from 1924, with rounded bottom edges.

You have to be really careful the older the wood is, because it eats into it really fast, and the older the wood is, the more fragile. The paint shaver also doesn't do well with the rounded edges, it tends to "sharpen" them. So I'm trying to shave the flat parts, and use the Silent Paint Remover on the rounded parts. It's definitely not a fast process to take off the lead-based paint (my goal)!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieny

I bought one almost 15 years ago to use on my 1858 home. My house has white cedar shingles with a 12 1/2 inch exposure, so it was tricky. I renailed every shingle and then proceed to shave them. Carla is correct in saying that you need to be careful, but I found with practice that I could get it to work pretty well. You can adjust the depth of the cut so that you're actually taking off more paint and less wood. This machine would definitely work better on clapboard than shingles due to the relative straightness of calpboard as compared to shingles. Also, I purchased the sander that they sell as well, which was a mistake. It's basically a small electric grinder fitted with a sanding disc. I found it very difficult to sand and not leave marks in the wood. I purchased a Porter-Cable orbital sander, hooked it up to my shopvac, and it works exceptionally well. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™