FPE or F&B for cast iron tub feet?

swedishchickenJanuary 25, 2013

My cast iron double slipper clawfoot bathtub has been removed from the bathroom for a mass gut and new tile installation. It has chrome plated lions paw cast iron feet that I've grown tired of and am thinking of painting them. I'm a huge fan of both Fine Paints of Europe as well as Farrow and Ball and have a number of colors from both companies, including primers.

Has anyone used either of these paints for this purpose? Is one or the other substantially better for this use? I am considering a white as the tub is white and the tile is white subway and carrara marble on the floor, though I also have a pale blue gray that would work too. I wonder if that would look odd though.. I need to get them painted asap so the paint can dry thoroughly before the tub re-installation. All thoughts appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susiemw

I can't speak to the process of doing this but I will voice my opinion that the white feet with the tub would be too much white. I'd vote for the blue/gray. I think that would look nice with your marble.

I have a new clawfoot tub that has bright shiny feet that I'm not fond of but I've decided I'm going to like them :)
If you decide to do this please post how it turns out.

susan

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 2:42AM
sombreuil_mongrel

For painting over chrome, prep will be important. You need to scuff them up and maybe use an epoxy primer. Then any kind of oil enamel would be fine. The proper prep will ensure the paint doesn't peel.
Casey

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:37PM
swedishchicken

susiemw, congratulations on your new tub! I like the shiny feet and maybe they'll look different on a marble floor than they did on a wood one. It's why I just lived with them before jumping the gun and busting out the paint which is my natural tendency. It's too much white, I think you're right. I'm really nervous about starting this work on the tub and am wondering if my hesitation should be listened to as a sign that it's a bad idea. I'll post photos if I do anything to the tub and appreciate the advice about prepping them too. Thanks very much.

Casey, I saw your bathroom photos while doing some searches on GW and think you did an incredible job. It's just gorgeous. You're very talented. :)

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:49AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Thanks, I know. I'm a legend in my own mind. :)
Casey

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:57PM
snookums2

lol. Yes it is a beauty of fine craftmanship and vision!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Latex Paint Care Fee
I live in Minnesota - the Land of 10,000 Taxes. Our...
geoffrey_b
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Sponsored Products
Glass Two-Tone Hurricane Candleholder
$27.99 | zulily
Handmade Hexi Fruit Bowl
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Copper Beverage Tub on Decorative Stand
Signature Hardware
Desk Lamps: 14.5 in. Broadview Bank Antique Bronze Accent Lamp TT90186
Home Depot
Tech Lighting | Two-Circuit Remote Transformer - Magnetic -Single Feed -12V 600w
$576.80 | YLighting
Crystal Fountain 1-Tier Chandelier
Lightology
Crystorama Palla 24 3/4" Wide Antique Silver Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Broche Layered Leaves Six-Light Convertible Chandelier
$995.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™