Pumpkin Praline Crunch from KA

triciaeOctober 5, 2012

I just received this new product from KA this morning. It looks fantastic! I saw it in their latest cataloge used in the crust for a pumpkin pie and knew it was going to be this T-Day's pumpkin pie.

The ingredients are: praline pumpkin seeds (sugar, pumpkin seeds, spice, salt, caramel color

I'm not a candy maker. But we love pumpkin seeds for snacks and also in Mexican cuisine so they are a regular part of my food storage program.

Can anybody give me some idea how to make this stuff from my own ingredients?

Thanks!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Seed Praline Crunch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Here's a recipe I found on-line:

Pumpkin Seed Praline

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Active time: 30 min
Total time: 1 hr

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds, toasted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 250-degrees F. Lightly oil a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.

Cook sugar, water, and a pinch of salt in a deep 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a metal fork, until melted and pale golden. Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden. Immediately stir in pumpkin seeds and quickly pour onto foil, spreading into a thin sheet before it hardens. (If caramel hardens and is difficult to spread, put in a 400-degree F oven until warm enough to spread, 1 to 2 minutes.)

Cool praline on baking sheet on a rack until completely hardened, then break into large pieces.

Here's a recipe I might try based on another recipe I make using almonds and pretzel sticks... In a small microwave\-safe bowl (or in a small saucepan) bring 2 T. butter, 2 T. dark brown sugar (I would use palm sugar), and 1 T. water to a boil (the original recipe also includes 1/8 t. cayenne pepper). Stir. Pour over toasted (or raw) pumpkin seeds (sorry, I don't know how many pumpkin seeds, but this recipe lightly coats 2 c. thin pretzel sticks and 1 c. almonds). Place in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a 300\-degree F oven for 15\-20 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn. The recipe using pretzels and almonds \- bakes for 20\-minutes. 

Let us know what works for you.... :\-) 

\-Grainlady 
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 2:00PM
triciae

Thanks grainlady! I'll give your microwave recipe a try...something about that boiling sugar and swirling the pan from a wheelchair makes me nervous, lol. The microwave thing looks much safer for me and I won't have to buy this from KA again since I keep all the ingredients in STORAGE. :)

/tricia

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:14AM
grainlady_ks

Tricia-

I made the snack mix Saturday using THIN stick pretzels and 1 c. pumpkin seeds for the almonds called for in the recipe. I also used palm sugar instead of brown sugar. The pumpkin seeds were only lightly sugar-coated and we LOVED them. Just enough sweetness to take that slightly bitter edge off the pumpkin seeds. I'm glad you asked and glad I tried it! I haven't a clue how close they are to the real deal...

-Grainlady

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Boneless Chuck Roast as a stand in for a brisket?
Normally I'd be cooking a brisket for Passover, so...
lowspark
Need help making changes in this recipe
I've been a long time lurker, posted few times, and...
littleonefb
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
Sponsored Products
Chandra Rugs | Thomas Paul Geometric Pumpkin/Cream Rug
YLiving.com
Classic Cocoa 48 to 84 Inch Pumpkin Curtain Rod
$22.95 | Bellacor
Currey & Company Pumpkin Prideaux Table Lamp
$470.00 | LuxeDecor
Ripple Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - PUMPKIN
$899.00 | Horchow
Morph Pendant Light
Artisan Crafted Home