Pumpkin Praline Crunch from KA

triciaeOctober 5, 2012

I just received this new product from KA this morning. It looks fantastic! I saw it in their latest cataloge used in the crust for a pumpkin pie and knew it was going to be this T-Day's pumpkin pie.

The ingredients are: praline pumpkin seeds (sugar, pumpkin seeds, spice, salt, caramel color

I'm not a candy maker. But we love pumpkin seeds for snacks and also in Mexican cuisine so they are a regular part of my food storage program.

Can anybody give me some idea how to make this stuff from my own ingredients?

Thanks!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Seed Praline Crunch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Here's a recipe I found on-line:

Pumpkin Seed Praline

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Active time: 30 min
Total time: 1 hr

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds, toasted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 250-degrees F. Lightly oil a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.

Cook sugar, water, and a pinch of salt in a deep 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a metal fork, until melted and pale golden. Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden. Immediately stir in pumpkin seeds and quickly pour onto foil, spreading into a thin sheet before it hardens. (If caramel hardens and is difficult to spread, put in a 400-degree F oven until warm enough to spread, 1 to 2 minutes.)

Cool praline on baking sheet on a rack until completely hardened, then break into large pieces.

Here's a recipe I might try based on another recipe I make using almonds and pretzel sticks... In a small microwave\-safe bowl (or in a small saucepan) bring 2 T. butter, 2 T. dark brown sugar (I would use palm sugar), and 1 T. water to a boil (the original recipe also includes 1/8 t. cayenne pepper). Stir. Pour over toasted (or raw) pumpkin seeds (sorry, I don't know how many pumpkin seeds, but this recipe lightly coats 2 c. thin pretzel sticks and 1 c. almonds). Place in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a 300\-degree F oven for 15\-20 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn. The recipe using pretzels and almonds \- bakes for 20\-minutes. 

Let us know what works for you.... :\-) 

\-Grainlady 
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 2:00PM
triciae

Thanks grainlady! I'll give your microwave recipe a try...something about that boiling sugar and swirling the pan from a wheelchair makes me nervous, lol. The microwave thing looks much safer for me and I won't have to buy this from KA again since I keep all the ingredients in STORAGE. :)

/tricia

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:14AM
grainlady_ks

Tricia-

I made the snack mix Saturday using THIN stick pretzels and 1 c. pumpkin seeds for the almonds called for in the recipe. I also used palm sugar instead of brown sugar. The pumpkin seeds were only lightly sugar-coated and we LOVED them. Just enough sweetness to take that slightly bitter edge off the pumpkin seeds. I'm glad you asked and glad I tried it! I haven't a clue how close they are to the real deal...

-Grainlady

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Another kitchen science accidental experiment
The other day I made a soup with potatoes, tomatoes,...
sally2_gw
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™