Show me your dining room built ins

penceDecember 17, 2008

We recently redid part of our 1860 victorian italianate and had to tear down the dining room fire place with flanking bookshleves. I'd now like to replace that area with a built in of some sort--maybe a serving hutch and bookshleves, anything that would look like it's been there for 150 years. I've scoured the internet and our local library for ideas but I thought you all might be a good source for "real live" pictures. Got any??? thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jejvtr

pence
Love hearing when people are trying to maintain the orig character of a lovely old home -
here's pic of our DR w/built in corner cab -
House was built in 1930

Good luck

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 11:31AM
pence

thanks jvjtvr--that is even the kind of wallpaper that I've been looking at! It's beautiful

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 9:55PM
trailrunnerbiker

Here is ours. 1890 Bungalow. It has the original wooden knob and the bead board inside. Some one added lights. I had the interior shelves changed to glass. If you would like another pic close up let me know. c

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 12:48AM
jejvtr

trial love the DR & built in - someday I'll have my wooden shelves changed to glass - I did have the electrician put a light in the top - what a nice difference

Pence - Funny you say that about the WP - dear friend of mine who is int decorater rec WP to me, this particular one - I fought tooth n nail - No I don't do WP - so glad she won out. I feel like this room is the most period correct in our home. The WP is Thiabut which has lovely selections - I posted a link below - this is fr. Promenade collection

GL

Here is a link that might be useful: Thiabut wallcoverings

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 8:06AM
jcin_los_angeles

Here's the built in breakfront in our 1910 Craftsman. When we walked in and saw it, I said to my husband "This is the house I want to buy!"

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/armandsgrandmother/2657VanBuren12.jpg[/IMG]

Bookmark   December 26, 2008 at 1:22AM
jcin_los_angeles

I'm trying to learn how to post directly from Photobucket. Not too easy when you're as technically challenged as I am. I finally did it but it was rejected here because I had already posted, and can't seem to delete anything. Let's try again!

Bookmark   December 26, 2008 at 1:31AM
SK97232

jcin los angeles--your leaded glass is gorgeous. How fortunate you are.

Here's our built-in from our 1912 Craftsman in Portland, Oregon. It's made from douglas fir and when we bought the house in 2010 it was painted white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room After

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 4:31PM
slateberry51

Dying of curiousity; why did you have to remove the original fp and surround? I'm in a similar situation; my firebox is cracked and there was a repro colonial mantel leaning against the wall (this is a victorian) when we bought the house. I found the original soapstone mantel in the basement--painted 60's avocado green over the original faux granite finish! Yikes! And the original encaustic tiles for the surround had been pried off and parked in a cabinet in the laundry room. It's going to be a project to get that fireplace restored and safely working again, but I have hope. I'm thinking that if you decided to remove the original, there must have been a good story. So...?

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™