Need to repair drywall tape on ceiling and other ceiling paint ?s

christineJanuary 11, 2007

We have a corner in the tray ceiling in our bedroom where the drywall tape is lifting just a tad. I have absolutely NO idea how to fix this prior to painting. It isn't really peeling, the corner has lifted just a bit. How do I repair this?

Also - do I use a flat on the ceiling? We're planning on painting the tray the same color as the ceiling.

I saw someone reference a method for painting ceilings Michael had described, but I wasn't able to find his post actually describing it. If anyone (or Michael himself!) could repost that, I would really appreciate it.

I would appreciate any ceiling painting tips as this is our first time doing a ceiling. Any special tools we should get? Techniques? Etc...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Hello Christine,

>> Pretty easy fix for the tape:
* Get a small tub of vinyl spackling compound or "joint cement".
* Gently lift the tape, and put just a tiny bit of "mud" onto the wall with a narrow putty knife. A thin "see-thru" layer is fine.
* Next, use a wider (4"-6") knife and spread an even layer on top of the tape to "set" the tape into the wall mud. Use LIGHT pressure at the wall-corner! Ya don't wanna tear into the corner tape.
* Object here is to have a seamless application of mud over this tape area. After it's dry, LIGHTLY "feather-sand" your patch with a 220-grit sanding sponge.
* Vacuum off the dust from area, prime (1 coat) and paint (2 coats!!).

The most common is FLAT on ceilings...usually because people don't want sheen from lamps, etc. on a ceiling. However, Eggshell is a nice choice too. Very subtle sheen (depending on brand!!).

TOOLS: Use the best brushes/roller-covers you can buy.
* Get a nice stiff roller-frame...$5-$10 for a good one.
* Buy/borrow a STIFF pole!! Painting overhead with a "bendy" pole/roller-frame is a PITA!
* Use a 3/4" or maybe 1" nap for popcorn ceilings...3/8" or 1/2" for smooth surfaces.

Enjoy!
Faron

Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™