Need to repair drywall tape on ceiling and other ceiling paint ?s

christineJanuary 11, 2007

We have a corner in the tray ceiling in our bedroom where the drywall tape is lifting just a tad. I have absolutely NO idea how to fix this prior to painting. It isn't really peeling, the corner has lifted just a bit. How do I repair this?

Also - do I use a flat on the ceiling? We're planning on painting the tray the same color as the ceiling.

I saw someone reference a method for painting ceilings Michael had described, but I wasn't able to find his post actually describing it. If anyone (or Michael himself!) could repost that, I would really appreciate it.

I would appreciate any ceiling painting tips as this is our first time doing a ceiling. Any special tools we should get? Techniques? Etc...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Hello Christine,

>> Pretty easy fix for the tape:
* Get a small tub of vinyl spackling compound or "joint cement".
* Gently lift the tape, and put just a tiny bit of "mud" onto the wall with a narrow putty knife. A thin "see-thru" layer is fine.
* Next, use a wider (4"-6") knife and spread an even layer on top of the tape to "set" the tape into the wall mud. Use LIGHT pressure at the wall-corner! Ya don't wanna tear into the corner tape.
* Object here is to have a seamless application of mud over this tape area. After it's dry, LIGHTLY "feather-sand" your patch with a 220-grit sanding sponge.
* Vacuum off the dust from area, prime (1 coat) and paint (2 coats!!).

The most common is FLAT on ceilings...usually because people don't want sheen from lamps, etc. on a ceiling. However, Eggshell is a nice choice too. Very subtle sheen (depending on brand!!).

TOOLS: Use the best brushes/roller-covers you can buy.
* Get a nice stiff roller-frame...$5-$10 for a good one.
* Buy/borrow a STIFF pole!! Painting overhead with a "bendy" pole/roller-frame is a PITA!
* Use a 3/4" or maybe 1" nap for popcorn ceilings...3/8" or 1/2" for smooth surfaces.

Enjoy!
Faron

Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Sponsored Products
Unfinished Bisque Zig Zag Handcut Wall Sconce
$160.20 | Bellacor
Safari White Rocking Horse with Pink Pad
Classic Hostess
Costa Low Stacking Armchair - Set of 2 - Fermob
$1,054.00 | HORNE
Deep Lichen Green 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
A19 Lighting | St.Vincent Pendant Light
$172.99 | YLighting
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Roman Coach Collection 1-light Brushed Nicke
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™