Glass doorknobs?

kerrygwDecember 29, 2008

So I'm stumped. We are renovating a 1906 Craftsman-inspired house that needs some serious TLC but has good bones. It has glass egg shaped doorknobs on many of the doors - I think they add character, my husband dislikes them. The knobs are large with very plain glass (smooth, not cut) and a plain rosette. I'd like to find more of them to figure out if they are most likely original to the house or if they were more likely added later, but I can't find anything similar anywhere. Has anyone seen knobs like this before? I've tried eBay, Historic House Parts, Look in the Attic, and a lot of the architectural salvage places to no avail. Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailrunnerbiker

Check with Robinson's. He has a great web site and tons of knobs etc. He will know where you can get them I bet.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardware

Bookmark   December 29, 2008 at 9:21PM
dennisgli

I just noticed these in a catalog that I had laying around. Sounds like what you are looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Mountain K150

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 2:46PM
brickeyee

Renovator's Supply has a selection of glass knobs, not sure if any are egg shaped.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 4:39PM
kerrygw

Thanks everyone. They are very similar to the Rocky Mountain knobs, though I'd love to find a vintage source. I didn't see anything at Renovator's that matched, but I'll do some more searching with Robinson's as well. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 4:05PM
calliope

Many of the antique stores downtown have bins filled with old latches, doorknobs, and other hardware. Have you ever just tried looking in places like that? I'm not sure about the age of glass knobs, remember seeing a lot of them in older houses when I was a kid.......my old house has what looks like white porcelain knobs on the exterior doors, and latches on what interior doors had hardware at all.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 8:55PM
kerrygw

From what I've read, glass knobs have been around since the mid 1800s, but they became really popular around WWI when the metals were being used to make ammunition and such. I'll need to take a bit of a "field trip" to check out some of the salvage yards around - most of our antique stores locally deal with lovely (but expensive) antique furniture rather than (what I would consider) the more "fun" stuff like hardware. We live in an old victorian house now, so I'm pretty used to the glass knobs, but the vast majority are faceted and hexagonal (or octagonal) rather than oval and smooth. I haven't seen ones like these before and was curious if others have. I like the porcelain knobs as well - you are lucky to have them!

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
Sponsored Products
Dahlia Round Outdoor Outdoor Bistro Table - Black, 30" Round, Patio Furniture
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Outdoor Lanterns. Brynmawr Collection Hanging Lantern 1-Light Outdoor Burled Wal
$45.90 | Home Depot
Reflection Steel Recessed Medicine Cabinet with Beveled Glass
Signature Hardware
Acclaim Lighting Wall Mounted Brynmawr Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor
$36.98 | Home Depot
Z-Lite Agai Single-light Chrome Wall Sconce with Clear Glass Shade
Overstock.com
Amelia Flight Server
$17.99 | zulily
Five-Light Polished Brass Chandelier
$111.00 | Bellacor
Tudor Mayan Bronze Outdoor Hanging Lantern