Can a hip roof be converted to a gambrel?

four_squareDecember 27, 2007

Does anyone know if a hip roof can be converted to a gambrel? We need more space and are considering converting our foursquare's attic to living space. This is a 26' x 28' 2 story house. Stairs are already in place from 2nd floor to attic, but headroom is dicey on the way up. Our house seemed large when we moved in, but now with 2 6-year-olds, who will one day be over 6' as their dad, we're feeling a might crowded these days. Currently a 6-footer can stand upright within a 4-foot radius of the attic center. The highest point is about 7 feet. The current roof angle is 8 over 12. I considered a simple gabled roof, but would not gain enough walkable floor space to be worth the expense. Side dormers of some style would be desirable also, one for the stairway headroom, one for the view of the river.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Of course, it could, but you would be saving nothing of the existing roof. The framing would be all new, and you would in all likelihood need to move out for a while.
Casey

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 5:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jegr

Casey is right. Unfortunately you cannot simply bump up one section of the roof, the whole roof would need to be replaced.
It would be easier and cheaper to add on.

Bookmark   December 30, 2007 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™