RED room White Bookcase need help please

Nola2007January 9, 2014

So I was dead set on having a red dining room. I was going for a color I had in the past 'Cajun Spice' but it's discontinued and I ended up a little too primary red. I plan to go a little darker if I keep the red.

Then I had white bookcases installed and decided to leave the back open. My dilemma is that I just don't love the way it looks. And I haven't had an easy time decorating. I either want to:

1) paint the inside back of bookcase wall white
2) have the bookcase refinished with a solid backing instead of opening to wall
3) paint entire room a neutral color and leave red behind bookcase
4) something I haven't thought of

Try to ignore the cluttered shelves, we haven't used this room yet because of the poor lighting, we have a better solution on order and electrician on standby.

The farm table is a staple, the chairs are temporary, awaiting everything else to fall into place.

There is another bookcase mirroring this one, a solid wall and then the wall with two windows. I will upload pics of those angles if I can.

Please give me your opinions about how to change this room color to achieve a more pleasing atmosphere. I am partial to keeping red, but just don't know how to make it work. Thanks for any advise!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nola2007

Alt view 1

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:09PM
Nola2007

Atl view 2

This post was edited by Nola2007 on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 18:13

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:11PM
Nola2007

Alt view 3

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:12PM
Nola2007

The doorway to the "Navy" Entry has since been cased with a white trim to separate the rooms.

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:15PM
Annie Deighnaugh

I would paint the back of the bookcases to match the white. I would also consider adding doors to some of the shelves as it is a lot of horizontal lines in the room and it looks like you might appreciate having more storage, fewer shelves to fill.

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:16PM
tuesday_2008

You have extremely nice bookcases, therefore, I would address that issue first. They typically will be a long-term fixture in your home, but paint colors will more than likely change throughout the years.

Have you carpenter or cabinet maker or someone put backs on the cabinets. You can always add interest to the back of the bookcases with paint, fabric covered foam boards, craft paper etc.

By the way, I love your red walls. But keep in mind, adding backs to the bookcases will give you much greater decorating flexibility in the future if and when you need to "redecorate".

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 10:23AM
Nola2007

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to have the bookcases taken down and have a back added, which will be painted white. I will also talk to the carpenter about how to add cabinets. Very much appreciate your input! I hate spending money and then having to fix it!

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:41AM
Nola2007

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to have the bookcases taken down and have a back added, which will be painted white. I will also talk to the carpenter about how to add cabinets. Very much appreciate your input! I hate spending money and then having to fix it!

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 12:13PM
jcalhoun

I'd like to see the walls a very light slate blue/gray or light gray/green. Maybe a pastel yellow or ivory to brighten the room.

The bookcases would look nice white with backers in a stained wood similar to your floors. Sort of a golden oak color. Wood paneling would work.

This post was edited by jcalhoun on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 5:29

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:23AM
More Discussions
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Embroidered Bird Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Merton 4-button Tufted Square Candice Ottoman
Overstock.com
Fuzzy Knotted Lime 16 x 16 Throw Pillow
$39.99 | Bellacor
Black Tin Star Wall Art
$9.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Area Rug: Earley Navy/Ivory 8' x 11'
Home Depot
J&M Furniture Modern Console Table A505B in Glass
Beyond Stores
Canton Semi Flushmount by Hudson Valley Lighting