Wash walls before priming?

joaniepoanieJanuary 1, 2012

We are in the final stages of getting packed up for kitchen remodel which starts Tuesday. Dumb question.....should I wash down all the walls with TSP to get grease and grime off prior to contractor priming and painting or is it a waste of time since there will be dust, etc from demo? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpchiil

If you are having it painted by a contractor, I would ask him /her.

If they are a reputable company, they would be able to provide the best direction, in terms of timing , and whether or not it needs a washing with TSP.

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 10:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

It's not really a waste of time because it is very unlikely that a painting contractor would wash walls that are dusty from demo. It's much faster to just use a pole sander to get dusty walls into a paintable condition. I would check though if washing off grease is included in the contract for the paintjob though as it would really be a waste of time if you are already paying for them to do it. If you do decide to do it though, I would use Dirtex instead. TSP really needs to be rinsed very well and we don't like to waste time with rinsing and rinsing if it's not necessary.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 5:44AM
More Discussions
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™