Painting Help!!!

MNT2009January 2, 2011

I recently moved into a new place and attempted to paint over an ugly rust/orange color. I decided to prime (latex) the entire wall. To my horror after I was finished I discovered numerous bubbles over the wall just primed, some bubbles were about the size of a quarter. Being extremely frustrated I grabbed a paint scraper and scraped them off. When I was scraping them off I noticed I was peeling off the old orange paint as well. The primer pulled the old paint (orange color) from a previous color underneath (white). I thought maybe there was an oil paint in there. I googled how to tell if the paint is oil, I came up with the denatured alcohol test, both the orange paint and the white paint underneath the primer were coming up with denatured alcohol. Indicating both paints were latex (?) I am so lost, and frustrated. I am attempting to scrape off the entire wall that was covered with orange paint and primer over it. The only thing I can think of is the primer bonded to orange paint separating it form the the white paint underneath. Does anyone know why this would happen? How do I go about fixing this, once I scrap the entire wall. Please Help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

This is actually fairly common. There is a chance that the bubbles will go away in a few days if you let them dry. What is happening is that one of the layers of paint is not adhered, so when you apply new paint, the sheer weight of that paint and the moisture that you are applying to the wall work as a team to loosen whatever is not fully adhered. Whatever is not stuck is what will bubble. Sometimes when the moisture dries out, the bubble will recede and disappear. So, let all your bubbles appear, let the wall dry and then cut out the bubbles that did not go away with a utility knife. After you cut the bubbles out, sand those areas. The idea here is to dull the wall to improve adhesion. After sanding, spot prime with a bonding latex primer, then patch, sand and paint like normal. If you didn't see any bubbles before you started painting, then there is a good chance that they will all go away though as the paint dries and you may not have to do any cutting out at all.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Sponsored Products
Recycled Plastic Adirondack Tete-a-Tete - C426BLK
Hayneedle
A19 Lighting | Krete Downlight Wall Sconce
$99.99 | YLighting
Special Delivery - Squirrel Bicycle Messenger Garden Statue - QM2513800
$32.90 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Roswell the Alien Sculpture - DB383016
$117.90 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Rococo Sculptural Plinth - KY0631
$170.95 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Egyptian Revival Winged Great Sphinx Statue - KY1453
$287.62 | Hayneedle
POLYWOOD Recycled Plastic Captain Collection Bar Height Dining Set - PW129
Hayneedle
Andover 72" Traditional Bathroom Double Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Black
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™